I thought it was clear - Red

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Is there a fool proof way to know a Red has cleared?
Although no one has stated it directly, the answer is "no".
;)

Regarding the use of fining agents, this article has helped me. The comparison table (search for "Comparison of Fining Agents") indicates bentonite is a good choice for reds, unless tannin removal is desired. Contrary to other posts, the article indicates that bentonite strips color the least compared to other agents.

BTW -- if you are doing kit wines, follow the instructions. You do not normally need to add anything else -- the fining agents included (typically bentonite & chitosan/kieselsol) do the job.

@winemaker81 Even in the above article under the bentonite heading they specifically say, "Use of bentonite in red wines should be limited because of its ability to reduce colour by adsorption of anthocyanins."

For tannic red wine from grapes, my preference is to stay away from bentonite unless I have a major problem.

For tannic red wine from grapes, my preference is to stay away from bentonite unless I have a major problem.
Emphasis mine. Stickman's statement is key -- this is all personal choice.

Every decision we make has positive and negative effects, so we should make our own choices based upon available information, adjusting based on experience.

Everything in wine is a particle -- color, aroma, flavor, etc., and can be affected by fining agents. Every fining agent strips things we want to strip as well as stripping things we don't. The alternative is to not use a fining agent, which pretty much guarantees a sediment drop in the bottle. That may take years but it will happen. [It may happen even with fining agents, but should be a lesser amount.]

Me? I hate sediment in the bottle for my own wines, so I work to avoid that. I don't freak if someone else's wine does (opened a few older Spanish reds recently that had sediment), but I don't want mine to have it.

I have tried a number of fining agents, but find that bentonite works for me -- I achieve my goal while having side effects I can live with. I use about 75% of the recommended amount of bentonite, which in my experience produces desired results.

Next year I need to fine one carboy but not another, and compare after 3 months. That should be an interesting experiment.

@stickman, thanks for raising the point.

Latest posts

Back