I think my taste buds are jacked up.

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

crabjoe

Reaction score
I've been giving my friends 3 different wines I've made to try and it seems my taste buds are jacked... at least for sweets...

Here's the finished gravity after I back sweetened.

Apfelwein: 1.000
Fruit punch wine: 1.010
Skeeter Pee: 1.020... possibly 1.025, cant remember.

For me, the Skeeter is hurt my teeth sweet. The fruit punch is just sweet, and the apfelwein seems semi sweet.

What I'm hearing back is the Skeeter is perfect amout of sweet, the fruit wine is off dry to semi dry and the apfelwein is dry.

Mind you, most of these people aren't regular wine drinkers, but how can my taste buds be so off?

Anyone have a gravity chart on what's considered bone dry, dry, off dry, semi sweet, and sweet?

I've seen some posts that said 1.005-1.020 is semi sweet and 1.020+ is sweet.. but I've seen other posts that are different.. is there some kind of chart that's is used to judge by?

Thanks

for our wine classic we use these standards. dry wine is 1% residual sugar less than sg=1.004, sweet wines are 1-3% residual sugar sp=1.005 to 1.012 sweet are 3.1% to 6% residual sugar sg=1.013-1.024. your perception of sweet or dry versus another will differ regardless of endearment. what is eaten before the tasting , how many sips in the judging, the detection of any aromas , all contribute to taste profile. don't feel disappointed at difference between you and others it just is that way.

Latest posts

Back