I think it happend too quick to be good

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jbuck

Reaction score
Started my second batch on 03/14/10 following the recipe in the Winemaker's recipe handbook for apple wine that came with my equipment kit, used Lalvin EC-1118 yeast. Started with a SG 1.086. On 03/17/10 the SG had reached 1.040 which I thought was really quick. Racked to glass secondary and it appeared the fermentation was going really well, air lock bubbling and everything, today I got home and checked, there does not appear to be any fermentation going on. the air lock is equilized with both chambers containing the same amount of vodka and no bubbling. I had a long day and don't want to take the time to sanatize my thieft and hydromoter to get a SG reading before bed so don't know what the SG is now but can't think it would have gotten done in four days. I will check the SG tomorrow but I am guessing I have a problem. Good Night everyone.

I doubt you have a problem. You started on 3/14 today is 3/23 9 days later. Femnemtation depends on TEMP, how old yeast is etc. I'll bet you check and it may be 1.000 or lower. DO NOT rush wine.
Get back with a gravity reading.
Post your recipe.

The majority of my wines are finished visible fermentation in about 6 days. The temp. has a good deal to do with it. It's under airlock now so you can check the gravity today or tomorrow.

Don't rush to conclusions. Take your time and enjoy.

that lalvin yeast works fast. so does the 1116 and IIRC, the D47. i like the lalvin yeasts as they don't get stuck and most work in a variety of temp ranges.

Thanks Tom

I doubt you have a problem. You started on 3/14 today is 3/23 9 days later. Femnemtation depends on TEMP, how old yeast is etc. I'll bet you check and it may be 1.000 or lower. DO NOT rush wine.
Get back with a gravity reading.
Post your recipe.

Well Sir, you were right, I checked the SG tonight when I got home from work and it was 0.996. If I am understanding my instructions correctley I should now rack into clean secondary, reattach air lock, wait approximately two months (for clearing I suspect) then bottle. Does this sound correct to you? Thanks for all your guidance thus far.

Yes Rack. Ck after 1-2 weeks and ck gravity again. If the same for 3-4 days (.990) then start to stabilize (k-meta & sorbate). You still have a while before bottling though.

I'd also stop racking at 1.040. that's too early. let it dip closer to 1.010 or even 1.005 before going to secondary. You want to be on the trailing end of fermentation (or even completely DONE) before going to secondary.

racking early can stall you due to removing a half fermented wine from a healthy yeast cake.

I agree with malkore and would never do as the Mosti Mondiale directions state. I almost always ferment to dryness in primary. The only exceptions to me are very delicate fruit and white wines where I rack at around 1.015 or lower.

sorry to sound harsh. i did not realize that kit's instructions even said to rack at such a high OG.

Latest posts

Back