I think I ready...

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Michael Vino

Reaction score
What a cool hobby this is. Last night I was experimenting with some of the toy's used in bottling, mainly the filler and corker.<?:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:eek:ffice" />
I used a couple old bottles and used corks and about 2 gallons of water to test the process and use of the equipment.

So with the racking cane, I hooked it up to the bottle filler and placed it in the bottle. BOOM to my surprise it worked, no fuss no problems. The cool part was when the bottle was full it stopped. Released the button on top and moved to next bottle. When done, all were filled to the exact same level. NICE!!

Next, I placed a handful of old corks in some water. Grabbed the floor corker and the filled bottles, placed in the holder, tossed ina cork and pressed the lever. EASY!!Although this took me a few attempts to dial in the depth of the cork when I did all were at the nice slightly recessed level.

So Tomorrow is the day I get my Merlot into the bottles.

I was nervous before the testing last night, now I feel pretty confident that this will go as easy as reading a how to from SMUFE's!!!

I wouldn't reccommend soaking your corks. Just throw dip them in sanatizing solution before corking. I use my vinator to wash rinse the bottles then plunge the cork in the base before corking. Don't reuse them either 8O).

Thanks Coaster, That's what I did.

Yes, success!! I completed the bottlingl Wade your are right what an awesome feeling. I got 30 bottles. Actually 29 now.

It tasted good, a bit thin on body as some have idicated with the vintners reserves...but I'm extremely happy.

The color and shine are nice, and it was clear. They are standing at attention( for the next couple of days)waiting on lables and then storage for a couple of months.

I batch down - the most trying one(because of unknowns). About 1278 batches more to go - of course only 33 more this year so you don't exceed your legal limit!
smiley2.gif

Waiting with anticipation some pictures of the finished product.

Rich is right -- because if you don't get a picture posted quick, we'll notice thatthe picture showsonly 28 bottles...no, 27 bottles... WAIT! 26 ...

smiley36.gif

Appleman and OilnH2O I'll try to get some photos this weekend. I'm traveling this week on business so when I get home I'll take a couple to post.

Total right now is 29,we drank one the day I bottled, but your right it's very tempting to un-cork another. Traveling this weekhelps keep me out of the stock.

I'm going to build a bottle holder for appling labels, I'll get a shot of that as well.

Thanks for the feedback.

Vino

Excellent idea for a newbie "like myself" to practice with water, old corks and old bottles first to get the hang of it.

Thanks Michael!

Latest posts

Back