I think I over SO2ed!!

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Siwash

Reaction score
Well, I think I did... I kept adding the so2 titrant and had to draw more than the 5ml required by Vinmetrica instructions... this was a result of trying to bring down my PH (added tartaric a)

The free SO2 for red wine with a 3.8 PH is 80. I had 116. 80 minus 116 = -36!

So the wine does taste off - hard to describe. This is a wine I have tried to salvage (2015) by adjusting the PH/TA. Now I guess what happened is that since the PH went from 4.05 to 3.79 the So2 requirement was lower (I had already added s02 at the 4.05 PH level

So wil this so2 dissipate over time? Will the flavour change? That is the last time this will happen since I now have the Vinmetrica (and didnt when I made this wine)

thoughts??

Well, I think I did... I kept adding the so2 titrant and had to draw more than the 5ml required by Vinmetrica instructions... this was a result of trying to bring down my PH (added tartaric a)

The free SO2 for red wine with a 3.8 PH is 80. I had 116. 80 minus 116 = -36!

So the wine does taste off - hard to describe. This is a wine I have tried to salvage (2015) by adjusting the PH/TA. Now I guess what happened is that since the PH went from 4.05 to 3.79 the So2 requirement was lower (I had already added s02 at the 4.05 PH level

So wil this so2 dissipate over time? Will the flavour change? That is the last time this will happen since I now have the Vinmetrica (and didnt when I made this wine)

thoughts??

Yes, the SO2 will get used up and free SO2 will decrease over time. It'll probably be back to your desired level within a few short months. Forget about it for a while and run another test in a few months. Hopefully, your perceived taste will have improved as well.

Yes, the SO2 will get used up and free SO2 will decrease over time. It'll probably be back to your desired level within a few short months. Forget about it for a while and run another test in a few months. Hopefully, your perceived taste will have improved as well.

Good!! Well, at least it's protected!!

You could always splash rack to speed things along. But you may drop to 80, or you could drop to 30 - who knows?

Not meaning to hi-jack this thread, question, does the SO2 dissipate if bottled and corked. Thanks

going to throw some more oak sticks in there too... but i think I will be patient and let the SO2 dissipate

I'd like to add some tannin - I guess it would be finishing tannin although I won't be bottle it for several more months. What would you recommend for tannin? More Wines has a line of tannins for finishing and aging.

Last edited:
Back