I think I just made rocket fuel.

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
What is RTFM?............................DizzyIzzy
Read the f$&king manual is my guess. Haven't googled it.

I was also curious about the "double down" kits and I did google that, the f-pac sounds like it is intended to give a "bourbon barrel aged" flavor to the wine. So hopefully that mellows out over time, but to me that would be where all the "hot-ness" comes from, bourbon flavored f-pac.

Pretty sure OP already indicated he was mistaken about the OG, no rocket fuel at all (not 20%), just an f-pac which is imitating a bourbon barrel.

Read the f$&king manual is my guess. Haven't googled it.

I was also curious about the "double down" kits and I did google that, the f-pac sounds like it is intended to give a "bourbon barrel aged" flavor to the wine. So hopefully that mellows out over time, but to me that would be where all the "hot-ness" comes from, bourbon flavored f-pac.

Pretty sure OP already indicated he was mistaken about the OG, no rocket fuel at all (not 20%), just an f-pac which is imitating a bourbon barrel.
WOW.................................hope that is not true! That would certainly be a letdown on the type of folk contributing here: enough to make me want to leave this site!!

@Gilmango, the ABV doesn't have to be 20% for the wine to taste like rocket fuel. Given the right (or is it wrong?) balance, a 15% wine can taste hot. Given the right balance, a 21% port doesn't taste hot.

@DizzyIzzy, I don't feel let down in any way. For one thing, I've failed to RTFM on more than one occasion and regretted it. [this is counter-balanced as I've read a few manuals where I felt that my IQ went down a few points in the process!]

Helping folks is what we do. For me, it's a challenge. A pleasant challenge, as the downside is relatively minor. Yeah, losing a batch sucks for the person it happens to, but in terms of real life consequences, it's trivial.

While it's fun sharing what we are doing, and the successes we are having, and learning new things, if that's all we did, I'd get bored. You or someone else needing help getting started or help diagnosing a problem keeps my interest and keeps the grey cells functioning!

This is just another day on WMT!

Well, I just wanted to give an update. I opened a bottle out of morbid curiosity and I was actually pretty shocked! It's beautiful honey color, and actually on the sweeter side (think Gewurtztraminer or a semi-sweet Riesling.).

Hazelnut, honey, and citrus notes both in aroma and taste. You still get that Everclear burn but its a lot less pronounced. If it keeps going the way it does, I think it'll actually be a nice summer sipper.

Hazelnut, honey, and citrus notes both in aroma and taste. You still get that Everclear burn but its a lot less pronounced. If it keeps going the way it does, I think it'll actually be a nice summer sipper.
You can also cut it with mineral water or carbonated water, just an ounce may reduce a glass by enough to level out the alcohol.

Latest posts

Back