I still see bubbles coming up. Is Fermentation still happening?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ryankelley

Reaction score
Some of you might remember my Lemon wine was slow to start. It's been fermenting for about 6 weeks now and I still see bubbles coming up from the bottom. It's SG is right at 1.00 The recipe says to rack it when dry. My question is, when I see bubbles coming up from the bottom, does that mean fermentation is still happening? This fermentation has been the slowest I've ever seen. Yes, the SG has dropped continuously throughout the process, but at 71 degrees in my wine room I don't know why it has taken this long.

sometimes the gross lees keep on bubbling after the wine dries, I would rake it.

What is your sg and is it still dropping? If not then it is just C02 being released, if itn is still fermenting then just leave it alone or stir it a little to get the yeast more active to finish up.

If the sg has been stable for more than 48 hours I would rack it.

Ryan, you did turn the heat down while you were on vacation. I would bring the heat back up for a day or so, but you probably won't go wrong to go a head and rack it.

Hi Ryan

Lon said you should keep the temp around 75 to 80 so this might be why yours is going slower. Also, once I racked to a carboy, I left mine sit until it cleared, then racked, campden, sorbated and backsweeten.

Julie

Ryan, you did turn the heat down while you were on vacation. I would bring the heat back up for a day or so, but you probably won't go wrong to go a head and rack it.

Yeah, it was 65 degree for 10 days. But the other 45 days of this were at 71 or 72. It's now at 1.00 sg, so I think I'll rack it this week. It has made steady progress, but I'm surprised how slow it dropped.

Latest posts

Back