I started my pumpkin wine this weekend

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My pumpkin wine is starting to clear up some after it's 2nd racking. I am now putting it downstairs in a cooler climate to see if that will aid some in clearing it.

@ rhartwel41, Yes I am trying for the pumpkin pie flavor. It will a semi sweet wine when it is finished.

DSCF8122.jpg
DO you have a recipe please for the pumpkin wine? It looks gorgeous!

Welcome to Wine Making Talk

I haven't done pumpkin but butternut squash/ cranberry (from concentrate)/ orange juice (frozen concentrate. AKA thanksgiving wine.
A retail pumpkin is lots of water with little sugar or flavor. Canned pumpkin is a type of squash which has high solids/ sugar and frequently flavored with pumpkin pie spice. Cooked butternut squash will press out making a clean sweet juice ex 2019 pH 7.62; TA 0.04%; 1.041 gravity or 2020 pH 6.68; TA 0.06%; 1.054 gravity.

@BigDaveK have you done pumpkin?

I'm excited to hear about wine from canned pumpkin pie filling. I can destroy a fresh pumpkin pie. Please post progress on your batches.

@BigDaveK have you done pumpkin?
I have not done pumpkin. I don't know if anyone near me sells pie pumpkins.
However...
From the garden I have Delicata squash, Blue Hubbard squash, and Rogosa Violina Gioia butternut squash that's supposed to be good for desserts. I'm glad they're winter squash and there's no rush. The Hubbard makes a great pie and the Delicata is my favorite, grow it every year. They're all in the wine queue.

Big dave. I did a post earlier asking if anyone had jack keller's recipe for pumpkin wine using instant pie filling like libby's. I remember doing it and there was a ton of waste but end product very worth it. Sadly, since his passing all of his stuff has been locked up on the web.

I imagine it depends on the recipe used. I used straight Pumpkin Pie Filling from cans (I added sugar of course). It already has all of the correct amount of spices in it. I felt there was much less guess work.

So yes, mine tastes like Pumpkin Pie. That's probably the goal for everyone making it.

Cheers,
Ed
Where did you get recipe? I lost mine. Also, did you use name brand or bargen brand mix?

here's another resource
file:///C:/Users/mfs3m/Documents/Jack-Keller-Complete-Requested-Recipes-Collection.pdf
That file is on your C drive and is not accessible by others.

@Derrald, search for "jack keller complete recipes" -- the PDF is available for download from various sources.

That file is on your C drive and is not accessible by others.

@Derrald, search for "jack keller complete recipes" -- the PDF is available for download from various sources.
I’m about to do Kellers pumpkin wine recipe as well but as it is in the Home Winemaking book. It calls for a can of frozen white grape juice concentrate. I am curious if anyone has made it with red though. Two grocery stores down so far and they’ve only had red. Going to visit a few more just in case.

Adding a picture of the recipe from the book as well. It works out to two to three pie pumpkins per gallon.

Attachments

• 296F976E-CDBB-46FC-ABDA-A9CC16792C9F.jpeg
    296F976E-CDBB-46FC-ABDA-A9CC16792C9F.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 1
I’m about to do Kellers pumpkin wine recipe as well but as it is in the Home Winemaking book. It calls for a can of frozen white grape juice concentrate. I am curious if anyone has made it with red though. Two grocery stores down so far and they’ve only had red. Going to visit a few more just in case.

Adding a picture of the recipe from the book as well. It works out to two to three pie pumpkins per gallon.
Yes, Keller likes to use concentrate.
You can also use raisins. I believe1/4 pint of concentrate is equal to 1/2 lb of raisins.
I prefer raisins if for no other reason than I know I'll always have some on the shelf.
Good luck!

Coloma Frozen has frozen white grape concentrate, you can buy a quart of it. I’ve made a Chardonnay and a Riesling with their concentrates. Colomafrozen.com

Latest posts

Back