I started my pumpkin wine this weekend

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MOwino

Reaction score
6 gallons of pumpkin wine is now in the primary buckets. I split it up into 2, 3 gallon batches so that my primary's wont overflow. I have heard that the pumpkin wine must's get pretty active.

Here is a pic of one of the primary's.
IMG_0028.jpg

Transferred 7 gallons to carboy's tonight. This is going to take forever to clear though I think.

IMG_0031.jpg

Makes me feel better about the amount of sediment I have in my pumpkin. It looks just like yours.

Ed

What does pumpkin wine taste like? Does it come out similar to a pumpkin pie or just a straight up pumpkin flavor? I though about trying it but I don't like pumpkin but love pumpkin pie.

I imagine it depends on the recipe used. I used straight Pumpkin Pie Filling from cans (I added sugar of course). It already has all of the correct amount of spices in it. I felt there was much less guess work.

So yes, mine tastes like Pumpkin Pie. That's probably the goal for everyone making it.

Cheers,
Ed

My pumpkin wine is starting to clear up some after it's 2nd racking. I am now putting it downstairs in a cooler climate to see if that will aid some in clearing it.

@ rhartwel41, Yes I am trying for the pumpkin pie flavor. It will a semi sweet wine when it is finished.

DSCF8122.jpg

I started 3 gal of pumpkin from fresh pie pumpkins. It looks to be VERY slow to clear.

I just bottled my 11 month old pumpkin pie last week made from Libby's pumpkin pie mix. It turned out better than I thought it would.

I just bottled my 11 month old pumpkin pie last week made from Libby's pumpkin pie mix. It turned out better than I thought it would.

Were you able to get it clear? What techniques did you use to clear the wine?

MOwino said:
Were you able to get it clear? What techniques did you use to clear the wine?

After a ton of sediment dropped, this wine cleared better on its own than any other that I have made. It took several months but I bulk aged it anyway. I did make a mistake in adding a little cider spices after about 9 months of aging which clouded the wine some. I dosed it with sparkalloid which cleared it right up. It looks good bottled.

Pumpkin Wine

Transferred 7 gallons to carboy's tonight. This is going to take forever to clear though I think.

IMG_0031.jpg
Don't worry just give it time,you've gotten my curiosity going though, I never thought of making wine from pumpkins. I have them in abundance. My next wine will be of pumpkins. Thanks for the inspiration. what yeast did you use? Phoebe.

Hi Phoebe, and welcome.

I'm pretty sure that MOWino used canned pumpkin. But it sounds like you have fresh pumpkins and there are recipes for using fresh pumpkin. I have 3 gallons from fresh pumpkin aging now. I used this recipe from Jack Keller but only 1.5# sugar/gallon to keep the OG 1.085. As you can see, you can use any number of different yeasts in this recipe. I used pie pumpkins, each weighs around a pound.

Don't worry just give it time,you've gotten my curiosity going though, I never thought of making wine from pumpkins. I have them in abundance. My next wine will be of pumpkins. Thanks for the inspiration. what yeast did you use? Phoebe.

Sorry for the delay in my response. It's been a busy holiday season for me. I used EC1118 for my yeast but as stated by others there are many other good options.
I opted to use canned pumpkin for two reasons, 1st, I didn't think the pumpkins available to me at the time I made it were ripe enough. And 2nd, I think that maybe I would get a more consistent product in the canned fruit versus the actual pumpkin. But for any other fruit I would prefer fresh whenever possible.

Hope that helps.

After a ton of sediment dropped, this wine cleared better on its own than any other that I have made. It took several months but I bulk aged it anyway. I did make a mistake in adding a little cider spices after about 9 months of aging which clouded the wine some. I dosed it with sparkalloid which cleared it right up. It looks good bottled.

Good to know, thanks for your help.

Sorry for the delay in my response. It's been a busy holiday season for me. I used EC1118 for my yeast but as stated by others there are many other good options.
I opted to use canned pumpkin for two reasons, 1st, I didn't think the pumpkins available to me at the time I made it were ripe enough. And 2nd, I think that maybe I would get a more consistent product in the canned fruit versus the actual pumpkin. But for any other fruit I would prefer fresh whenever possible.

Hope that helps.
Thanks MOwino. Me too very busy, this season. Hoping I can start the New Year by starting some new wines. I have'nt been doing much wines this year other interests got the better of me.So by next year-end I hope to have a nice collection pumpkin will be among them.Season's Greetings to You and Yours.

Looks really interesting I'd like to start a batch myself, what kind of sugar did you use? I heard good things about brown sugar and pumpkin wine.

I suppose that the losses are the bugaboo with this, I would probably lose 50% in the rackings, right?

Latest posts

Back