I started another batch (2nd)

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FentonCellars

Reaction score
I started my second batch ever. My first was a Cab Sav. This time I'm doing a Vintner Reserve Pinot Noir. I started it after my trip to Waterloo Canada. Since I'm finishing part of my basement (and it being cold 58) I moved it upstairs to my office closet. Temp upstairs is about 68 day/71 night. This helped start the ferment. process. As I look and smell now, I can see that the airlock is going 1 'burp' every second. I have the door open to get warmth to it, but covered it with a towel so sunlight will not be hitting it. What a sweet smell this is.... ahhhhhh.

I'll keep everyone posted on this thread through the stages.

Good job, look forward to sharing in your progress. I hope it turns out great for you. I want to make a Pinot Noir myself. The one I wanted to make has been discontinued though. I guess the grapes are too hard to get. It was a Wine Expert Selection Estate Series kit.

Smurfe :)

Smurfe:

Have you thought about Spagnols En Primeur New Zealand Pinot Noir or their Cru Select California PN (from last years RQ).

It's probbaly tough for you to get, but there's also Vineco's Ken Ridge Showcase NZ PN.

and others.

Steve

Smurfe:

Have you thought about Spagnols En Primeur New Zealand Pinot Noir or their Cru Select California PN (from last years RQ).

It's probbaly tough for you to get, but there's also Vineco's Ken Ridge Showcase NZ PN.

and others.

Steve

I haven't thought about trying another brand. I always buy from one place and usually forget for some reason there are other vendors. I don't know if you can get the Ken Ridge kits here in the US or not. I have heard they are very good kits though. After I get moved I may try one of the Spagnols or Cru Selects. Guess I would have to look around who has them that I would want to buy from.

Thanks

Well, another update from Vermont.....

I have my wine in a first floor closet in my office with the door open (but covered in a towel to keep the light out). I'm finishing off my basement and with all the drywall dust and how cold it is (60 degrees) I wanted to put it into my main living area (71 day 68 night).

I was away on business travel for the last three weeks and came home surprised to see that it is still fermenting! The last Cab Sav I did of this same brand, it stopped after 10 days! I have read here that people say, let it go as long as it wants to until the airlock is no longer active. What should I do here? I almost don't want to touch it, since that wonderful smell has filled my office/house!

Oh, and I have not checked the gravity at all, since it is still active yeast. Should I to see where it is at? I finally got a temp/hygrometer. I'm at 68 degrees with 20% humidity on the first floor.

Last edited:
Take a SG reading and see what it is and report back to us.

Back