I pulled a 'DOH!'

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bein_bein

Reaction score
What a bonehead noob mistake I pulled.... you guys tell me if there's any way to salvage this wine.
I have a beet wine that has been going since Feb. I was working with this wine and my carrot and an Anise wine, which have all been stabilized and cleared, getting them ready to bottle. The beet was tasting great! But it was really dry and needed just a touch of sweetener added, but I didn't want to use just sugar and water...so I added some red grape concentrate... DOH! what was I thinking...cloud city!!:( So it has sat for 3 weeks now and as I expected there is no change at all... The up side is, this is only a 1gal batch so if I have to I can just drink this stuff in it's cloudy form... :s but if I can find a way to clear it without adding a bunch more chemicals...I would prefer that.. Whaddya think guys??

Just s thought....do you guys think another round of surper kleer would do the trick?!?

That would work but there are other options. The use of a "egg white", Isinglass and sparkolliod. These may be cheaper than superkleer.
Defiantly add another round of clarifier.

I would give it more time to try and clear on its own seeing as how youve already used a fining agent. If it doesnt go on its own then go again with it but dont dump it. these fining agents all settle out but may strip some color and flavor. By the way, these are really not chemicals so to speak, Bentonite is basically clay, Chitosan is derived from shellfish exoskeletons, Isinglass is a substance obtained from the bladders of fish.

these fining agents all settle out but may strip some color and flavor. By the way, these are really not chemicals so to speak, Bentonite is basically clay, Chitosan is derived from shellfish exoskeletons, Isinglass is a substance obtained from the bladders of fish.

yep. you also might try putting it in a real cool place (60 F'ish) and see it that helps. cloudy wine isn't always bad, but particles can make it spoil faster.

Just thought I'd add an update for this wine...
I let it set until the about the 7th of Nov.Then we added some almond extract and 4 spice cloves (it was a 1 gal batch). Waited a week then we gave it a shot of superkleer and bottled it about a week later. I am really pleased with this wine. Has a nice body and the spice cloves make it a great holiday wine!! :D

Latest posts

Back