I need help

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GrapeEater

Reaction score
Are my plants dead? I saw that there was frost in the forecast so last night I covered both of my newly planted grape plants. Before work I went out around 6:00am and took the sheets off so they could warm up and get some sun. When I get home from work my wife informs me that the leaves all turned brown and shriveled up................ Last year I killed my bare root grape plants by over watering them.... this is becoming a nightmare to grow grapes on my arbor. Are my grape plants dead or will they regrow leaves?

Also if my plants are alive still... please read my other thread. I have some other questions. If they are dead don't bother.

THANKS!

DSC03851.jpg

DSC03852.jpg

It looks like they froze last night. Leave them alone and chances are that they will regrow from the secondary buds. Cross your fingers and believe they will be alright. Good luck.

Looks like the frost got them, they should come back I think! Grapeman would know for sure. I know if they were older plants they would for sure come back

I covered them!!! I didn't know they needed me to cuddle with them all night to keep them warm! Should I pull all the leaves or prune anything? Or just leave it be?

Just leave them, you will see new growth coming from the ground in a few weeks

Oh yea it looks good, what kind of grapes are you growing?

This is my first time trying to grow grapes. Well second... last year I planted 2 bare root stems that I believed I killed by over watering.

Question for ya. Will I have one stem or trunk climbing up the posts and then stems/branches over the top of the arbor?

Everyone does it different, they say no two vineyards are the same. What I have in mine is mostly two trunks, this gives a little insurance.

I think I will do 2 trunks. I never knew growing grapes will be so hard. So this first year I just let it grow and train it up the arbor posts and this fall I prune so back?

O my gosh. That is what mine looked like last year. Its a nice trellis. It sets hard on you after all that work and mother nature treats you like that. I did lose two small vines last year but we froze for two days in a row. I saw a bit of frost but this blackberry winter was much more forgiving. I do have one babe merlot that may have got bit.

Latest posts

Back