I need ABA

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yup, ChuckD nailed it.
And as a beginning wine maker I was wondering - isn't there a rule of thumb that says if you can count your carboys on less than 10 fingers you don't have enough? Or is it 10 fingers and 10 toes? I fergit. Either way, I'm working on the latter just to be safe.

I think the rule is “if you have to ask… make another one”🤣

I started with three carboys that belonged to my dad and bought three more right away. A month or two later I found a great deal on someone’s whole wine making setup including seven more carboys. I was thinking of selling a few since who needs 13 carboys right? Well, turns out this guy!

I think the rule is “if you have to ask… make another one”🤣

I started with three carboys that belonged to my dad and bought three more right away. A month or two later I found a great deal on someone’s whole wine making setup including seven more carboys. I was thinking of selling a few since who needs 13 carboys right? Well, turns out this guy!
Several years ago, I found I had 16 batches of wine going. Buckets and carboys. All 5 gallons. Do you realize how many bottles one needs to have available and clean for that? Never again.

Home Brew Ohio has the Better Bottles. I was considering those. I'm really curious and interested in why you like them?

OHB has the 3 gal BB, probably new old stock, no 6 gal. AFAIK Better Bottles machine broke and there wasn't any money to fix it. Doubt if they sold enough for it to be a huge business and they were probably running on the edge. There are other brands, but I have not tried them. I was introduced to BB by George from FineVineWines, who was a big supporter.

Now, why do I like them? Weight and they don't break easily. If I have to pick one up, a full BB is much lighter than a full glass carboy. I can also store them on an overhead rack. I use my BB for bulk aging.

I thought I had scored 3 today from a guy that quit making wine, but it turned out they were 5 gal BB, bought them anyway due to the price but I 'll use them to blend and fortify port.

To tell the truth, if I wanted to buy some new ones I'd go ahead and get the Fermonsters as they look easy to clean.

Several years ago, I found I had 16 batches of wine going. Buckets and carboys. All 5 gallons. Do you realize how many bottles one needs to have available and clean for that? Never again.

Yep, If I'm running full bore then I have 12 - 6 gal batches going. I got tired of bottles and moved all my table wine to kegs. I still have to bottle 5 due to the keg being only 5 gal, but that's okay. I have 2 kegs that I serve out of and 2 others that stand in as reserve storage. I now only bottle wines I wish to set back for a couple of years and I still bottle my whites, as it makes it easier to chill them.

Latest posts

Back