I messed up

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wetwilly

Junior
Reaction score
last year i made a batch of rasphberry grape wine and my wife liked it so much she asked me to make another batch and of course i forgot to write down the receipe i took for granted that i used welches white grape rasphberry frozen juice concentrate so, last week i went to the store and bought 9 cans never looked at the ingredients , today i looked and found out it has potassium metabisulphite in it. do you think there is anyway to use it?

Hell, Willy, guess you could mix it with vodka or something:) Seriously, I have only made wine with concentrates so far and I was learned from the begining to start with 100% juice that contains no sulphites or sorbate. This could inhibit or prevent fermentation all together. Hopefully one of the others may chime in. It MAY work, but it has been advised it's questionable wheteher or not it will ferment. Hang tough for a bit, and see if you can get a more qualified opinion then mine.
Troy

I believe so, just dont add any during primary and give it a good stir before adding yeast. It doesnt have sorbate or benzoate in it though does it?

no sorbate or benzoate in it. i decided to make a 5 gallon batch instead of 3 , adding just plain concentrated grape juice and water to make 5 gallons. i am also putting in frozen rasphberries and a few dark & light rasins would you add camden tablets and wait 24 hrs to pitch the yeast? or would the potassium metabisulphite thats in the 9 cans be sufficent?

I would maybe use 1 or 2 tops for the whole batch. Make sure you use pectic enzyme to help break down the fruit.

Back