I may change my views on Rosé Wine

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'd use D47. A recent rosé kit that I got included RC212, even though it doesn't seem to be recommended for rosé.

Just started RJS En Primeur Pinot Noir Rosé. Split batch to 3 gallons and used Rhone 4600 for the first 3, and W-15 for the second. Will blend together post fermentation. Also, this is my first go at using the Brew Built Universal Cool Stix to control fermentation temperature on W-15. My target temp is 63 degrees. Temperature reading started at 69 and within 1 hour was down to 66 degrees and that's with dumping ice from freezer into cooler. Hopefully, I can get to target and hold consistently. I am planning to use a bag of ice or ice packs to control temp.

Cheers!

Just started RJS En Primeur Pinot Noir Rosé. Split batch to 3 gallons and used Rhone 4600 for the first 3, and W-15 for the second. Will blend together post fermentation. Also, this is my first go at using the Brew Built Universal Cool Stix to control fermentation temperature on W-15. My target temp is 63 degrees. Temperature reading started at 69 and within 1 hour was down to 66 degrees and that's with dumping ice from freezer into cooler. Hopefully, I can get to target and hold consistently. I am planning to use a bag of ice or ice packs to control temp.

Cheers!
We liked this kit a lot. We didn't tweak much so will be interested in your updates!

Cheers!
Was able to convert a home office to a wine cellar recently with enough room to cold ferment. Will likely do cold maceration this coming harvest using dry ice for initial cooling then saignee from there. Hope your yeast split produces good results!

The last couple of rosé kits that I made had backsweetening packs. I prefer bone dry rosé so I didn't use them. I wonder how much sugar is in the finishing packs and how much effect they have on the SG of the wine. Specifically how much they raise the SG in 6 gallons. I'm thinking I may add the finishing packs to the must at beginning of fermentation. However, I don't want to raise the SG of the must too much since I don't want to increase the final ABV of the wine by very much--I'd like to keep ABV below 12.5%

The last couple of rosé kits that I made had backsweetening packs. I prefer bone dry rosé so I didn't use them. I wonder how much sugar is in the finishing packs and how much effect they have on the SG of the wine. Specifically how much they raise the SG in 6 gallons. I'm thinking I may add the finishing packs to the must at beginning of fermentation. However, I don't want to raise the SG of the must too much since I don't want to increase the final ABV of the wine by very much--I'd like to keep ABV below 12.5%
For my recently completed Master Vintner Zinfandel Rose´ ...I DID add the 100% grape juice intended for back sweetening....Upfront. Final ABV ended up at 15%. I did use D47 yeast & the vino turned out great & bone dry. I ended up adding 1oz glycerin per gal to improve mouth-feel a bit & tastings feedback has all been 10/10. Will crank out an annual batch using same protocol ✌

Cheers!

For my recently completed Master Vintner Zinfandel Rose´ ...I DID add the 100% grape juice intended for back sweetening....Upfront. Final ABV ended up at 15%. I did use D47 yeast & the vino turned out great & bone dry. I ended up adding 1oz glycerin per gal to improve mouth-feel a bit & tastings feedback has all been 10/10. Will crank out an annual batch using same protocol ✌

Cheers!
Sounds like a great approach. Also a big fan of glycerine to add a touch of sweetness and to improve mouth feel. Did you do MLF? I'm wondering if skipping that step may provide some carbonation in the bottle over time for an otherwise dry rose. As long as it doesn't present risk to popping corks. Nothing quite like a good chilled dry rose with a touch of carbonation, which gives it kind of a spiced sensation.

Sounds like a great approach. Also a big fan of glycerine to add a touch of sweetness and to improve mouth feel. Did you do MLF? I'm wondering if skipping that step may provide some carbonation in the bottle over time for an otherwise dry rose. As long as it doesn't present risk to popping corks. Nothing quite like a good chilled dry rose with a touch of carbonation, which gives it kind of a spiced sensation.
I did Not do MLF.

Tastes great at room temp, chilled & as a Rose´ spritzer on rocks w bit 7up added 😎

Good luck & Cheers ✌

E4835431-9D40-4C35-A698-D2B2163EEAB9.jpeg
I have been making a rosé wine for the first time this year. It is a bit dark (next year I will leave the grapes only a short time on the skins before pressing) and very drye. Some love it but those that expect a sweeter rosé don’t like the dryer version. Made from a local grape variety (regent).

View attachment 76363
I have been making a rosé wine for the first time this year. It is a bit dark (next year I will leave the grapes only a short time on the skins before pressing) and very drye. Some love it but those that expect a sweeter rosé don’t like the dryer version. Made from a local grape variety (regent).
I've been backsweetening by the glass using a simple syrup for the Sweet fans ✌

View attachment 76363
Lookin good! Just be careful. I kept mine with almost zero skins contact time for lighter color—- but I believe that decision bit me in the ass. My theory was it left me with extra low YAN from already low nitrogen grapes w/o realizing it. Ferment never finished dry. Next time I plan to change my nutrient protocol to compensate and step feed throughout.

All this is assuming the skins contact offers more than just color & tannin but also healthy components that aide successful fermentation. I don’t actually know this for sure though.

Lookin good! Just be careful. I kept mine with almost zero skins contact time for lighter color—- but I believe that decision bit me in the ass. My theory was it left me with extra low YAN from already low nitrogen grapes w/o realizing it. Ferment never finished dry. Next time I plan to change my nutrient protocol to compensate and step feed throughout.

All this is assuming the skins contact offers more than just color & tannin but also healthy components that aide successful fermentation. I don’t actually know this for sure though.
Thanks for the warning. You could add some DAP as supplement or maybe even measure the YAN level and act accordingly?

Thanks for the warning. You could add some DAP as supplement or maybe even measure the YAN level and act accordingly?
Yep. That’s the plan. And I did add some DAP with the fermaid K last year but I wasn’t on top of it and missed my window for the standard dose protocol (one at onset & another at 1/3-1/2way thru)
Likely gonna pick up the YAN testing kit this year.

Cheers!
Was this kit the Master Vintner Winemaker's Reserve version at about $70 or was this a more expensive kit? Thanks, interested in trying it.

I had the same idea and put the back sweetening pack in at the start in half of a cheap (60-bottle) Costco kit that I started about 8 days ago. The info in this stream makes me optimistic of the results.
It was a Chardonnay, not a rosé kit, but I've added crushed purple table grapes with most of the juice removed. The must has a light pinkish look so far. I'm not expecting a true rosé. I intend to keep the skins in to extend maceration in a Speidel fermenter until it's time for bottling or bulk aging.
I've read that some wineries leave grape skins in white wines for extended maceration and title the beverage an amber or orange wine to differentiate it from a rosé.
It's probably too late now but I fear because of the residual grape juice and the back sweetener that the alcohol could overwhelm the EC-1118 yeast that came with the kit. I fear I'll end up with a wine that's sweeter than I want. The EC-118 is supposed to tolerate 18% alcohol so I'm hopeful that it can do the job.
Anyone have other ideas to keep the sweetness at a 1.0 or lower? I'm willing to try anything, the whole point of playing around with a cheap kit.

Latest posts

Back