I love me some popcorn

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
These are truly words I never thought I would see in that order!

haha
I hope I have it right. I don't have the recipe right in front of me but I know there is some kind of oil(I don't think it is butter) to help the chocolate thin out and spread over the popcorn.

It's funny this thread was brought up. Just two weeks ago I was looking for a good popcorn popper. I looked at the Whirly thing bu from the reviews it has gone way down hill over the last several years due to the gears. What I did end up getting had over 2000 reviews and a 4.5 rating out of 5. For the price (under $10) I had to get it. They have it at Target and is sold next to the microwave ovens. Not with the popcorn poppers like you would think. http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00004W4UP/?tag=skimlinks_replacement-20 I am very happy with the results. I've been trying to do kettle corn with it. You have to transfer the popcorn immediately after popping or the sugar starts to caramelize as the bowl gets very hot. I think I'm giving up on kettle corn unless someone else has a recipe that works. I was using oil, 1/2 cup of sugar and 1/2 cup of popcorn.

Does the popcorn really matter? Is there one that excels over the others in taste and popping?

Last edited by a moderator:
Does the popcorn really matter? Is there one that excels over the others in taste and popping?

I think it does, though I haven't done enough research to recommend anything. I can tell you that there are big differences in the 3 or so brands of kernels I've tried from the grocery store. There are a few on Amazon that have great ratings.

We had a whirlypop a couple years ago and went back to airpopper. We have a halogen glass top stove and the heat cycle made that popper useless. Gas makes it realistic

We have a few quarter section fields of popcorn raised around here each year. A couple of years ago one of the local farmers grew some that was for making caramel type corn. It popped round instead of open like usual. It really wasn't very good just for popping and eating. Some is white, some yellow, but the best is if you can find some that is hulless. Makes it so you don't have to floss as much. Arne.

I love my whirly pop. I grow my own popcorn and it's delicious. I prefer to pop with coconut oil.

Back to popcorn, we pop ours in olive oil, then when done add nutritional yeast and salt, sometimes a dash of black pepper. This keeps us heart-healthy and the nutritional yeast adds a wonderful (to me, malt-like) taste.

Back