I like making wine so much so

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

montanaWineGuy

Reaction score
that I just ordered from Amazon a 1000 #8 corks. That is a lot, but at <10c/cork and admitting that I'm a wine maker now for life, I have to grab these deals. In my 3 years of toe dipping I was spending 17c to 19c a cork and was reusing corks to keep my costs down. I'll probably continue to reuse some corks, but 9c a cork. Wow! :db

Several years back member geek and I went in on an Amazon 1,000 cork deal and think it was something like 6 cents a cork.

I've been watching for several months and this the lowest price I've seen. Should last me at least 3 years. I'm happy. :h

I've been watching for several months and this the lowest price I've seen. Should last me at least 3 years. I'm happy. :h

Assuming only 750ml bottles will be used I think that comes out to about 11 six gallon batches a year, is that right? Doesn't seem outrageous to me. I think I'm making in the range of 10-12 6 gallon batches a year.

1000 corks would be 200 gallons in 750ml bottles or around 33 six gal batches.

I always buy bags of 1000 and break down the large bag into smaller bags of 100. I used to get them on Amazon but my last batch was the "three piece" cork (i.e. natural-agglomerate-natural) which I am not very pleased with at this point. I have had several "failures" in removing them from bottles.

@Montana, for what it is worth, I suggest that you not reuse corks. It is too much of a gamble (a bottle of wine for a 10 cent cork) for the minimal cost saving. Lastly, I always use #9 corks, 1.75" long. I know they cost a little more but to me it is reasonably priced insurance.

I use #9 and new corks on special wines, that I drink slowly, like my Elderberry and Oregon Grape. Apple and Rhubarb gets drank with little storage time and hardly even needs a cork, I could almost pour a glass from the carboy.

BTW, all my wines are from fruit or berries picked locally and from the wild. Sugar and corks are my only real expense. Less then 50c a bottle.

I always bottle a few 1500 liter bottles with each batch to save a cork or two.

Back