I left my cork screw at a neighbors

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Maybe I wouldn't be so upset if I had a backup?
Always have a backup! These are in my kitchen drawer.

backups.jpg

I don't use the corkpulls much, but they're handy.

Hmmmm ... I have another red corkpull ... where did I put it??? That's my problem, I put things in places that are so safe, I don't even know where they are ....

I need to buy another corkscrew to keep in my computer bag. I carry that with me when I travel, and keep essential things in it, such as sewing kit, small tools, OTC meds, etc. I have a corkscrew I got from a hotel decades ago. It works, but a real corkscrew is better.

corkscrew 1.jpg

corkscrew 2.jpg

My favorite is the inexpensive and excellent Franmara Italian made single action "boomerang" corkscrew. Apparently, the Italians know their corkscrews and for under $10 these will last you for decades. There is even one in the console of my wife's car and one stashed with the camping gear in my garage.

https://www.amazon.com/Franmara-Boo...My4zMiIsInFzcCI6IjIuODMifQ==&s=kitchen&sr=1-7
https://www.amazon.com/Boomerang-Bu.../B001AS0NO4/?_encoding=UTF8&pd_rd_w=BEqTP&con
But there are some subtleties here. Franmara also sells a similar looking corkscrew that is labeled "double action" or "two step". It is IMO complete worthless junk and made in China besides. Avoid.

The Italian ones say Italy, or Patent Italy or Made Italy stamped into the metal of the rivet surround. The foil cutter is TSA proof (no blade) and it even comes with a slot to untwist the wire closure of champagne bottles.

With that said there are hundreds of Chinese knockoffs/fakes/bad designs on Amazon so be very careful.

Also, there is an optimal pitch and length to the screw coil that all Euro and USA manufactures know about but only 10% of Chinese factories do. These tend to pull out the center of the cork, or break the cork 1/2 way.

Also regarding the Ah-So style, I like these, but the cheap ones have improperly tempered steel fingers that eventually bend or break so seek out a better one. I have an old Norpro (labled "Italy") that is good and cheap and the German ones look good and expensive.

I avoid the double arm ones, the rabbit ones or anything gimmicky.

Though I've always admired this (though would never pay $250 for a corkscrew):
https://www.campagnolo.com/WW/en/store/big_the_corkscrew
These have been a thing since I was racing bikes 35 years ago. So if you want an expensive corkscrew made by a bicycle components manufacturing company, it's your only choice. :h

Last edited:
This tool was given to me from friends. We nicknamed him penis boy but he has a defect. His member separates from his body. when trying to remove from the cork. Not very useful but a nice conversation piece. My go to however is a waiter's corkscrew.

Attachments

• IMG_4601.jpg
    IMG_4601.jpg
    98.9 KB · Views: 0
My favorite is the inexpensive and excellent Franmara Italian made single action "boomerang" corkscrew. Apparently, the Italians know their corkscrews and for under $10 these will last you for decades. There is even one in the console of my wife's car and one stashed with the camping gear in my garage.

https://www.amazon.com/Franmara-Boo...My4zMiIsInFzcCI6IjIuODMifQ==&s=kitchen&sr=1-7
https://www.amazon.com/Boomerang-Bu.../B001AS0NO4/?_encoding=UTF8&pd_rd_w=BEqTP&con
But there are some subtleties here. Franmara also sells a similar looking corkscrew that is labeled "double action" or "two step". It is IMO complete worthless junk and made in China besides. Avoid.

The Italian ones say Italy, or Patent Italy or Made Italy stamped into the metal of the rivet surround. The foil cutter is TSA proof (no blade) and it even comes with a slot to untwist the wire closure of champagne bottles.

With that said there are hundreds of Chinese knockoffs/fakes/bad designs on Amazon so be very careful.

Also, there is an optimal pitch and length to the screw coil that all Euro and USA manufactures know about but only 10% of Chinese factories do. These tend to pull out the center of the cork, or break the cork 1/2 way.

Also regarding the Ah-So style, I like these, but the cheap ones have improperly tempered steel fingers that eventually bend or break so seek out a better one. I have an old Norpro (labled "Italy") that is good and cheap and the German ones look good and expensive.

I avoid the double arm ones, the rabbit ones or anything gimmicky.

Though I've always admired this (though would never pay $250 for a corkscrew):
https://www.campagnolo.com/WW/en/store/big_the_corkscrew
These have been a thing since I was racing bikes 35 years ago. So if you want an expensive corkscrew made by a bicycle components manufacturing company, it's your only choice. :h
Thanks for taking the time to respond. I have the ah-so and a boomerang on the way. Still considering a wall mount. Then I will have all my bases covered.

I agree, $250 is a little steep for me, as well.

I have one other waiter’s style corkscrew I like because it’s the Peterbuilt of waiter’s corkscrews. It’s called the Capitano also made by Franmara. It lives in one of my Land Cruisers. It’s very heavy and strongly built. It’s longer too so lots of leverage. The current ones on Amazon do not look as nice-I suspect production has moved to China. Here is a picture of the business end:

07B2BE71-E2C6-4311-8FE0-939A7A61A050.jpeg

When buying a corkscrew, make sure the screw is "hollow", e.g., you could push a nail through the spiral, like the one on the right.

The one of the left works fine for most corks, but if the cork is weak or if it's stuck in the bottle (or adhered to the glass), the solid screw (pictured on left) is far more likely to rip out the center of the cork.

I learned this the hard way. Fortunately, I had a corkpull handy and was able to get the cork out.

corkscrew type.png

Latest posts

Back