I left my cork screw at a neighbors

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

vinny

Mildly Amused
Supporting Member
Reaction score
We went over for an outdoor happy hour and I brought my corkscrew.. Forgot it, oh well, no big deal.

Since, I have bought 2 new ones. Not expensive, not cheap, either. Both failed after uncorking less than 5 bottles. The screw rips right out. I'm beyond annoyed with the cheap junk the world peddles these days. They were not the same design, nor the same brand.

So I have to ask, has anyone got a link to a good solid corkscrew?

Anyone using the air pressure style? Thoughts?

I’ve been using the Pulltap’s waiters corkscrew since my first restaurant gig with an exceptional wine list 20 years ago. I’ve tried a lot of others, but I’ve never found one I like better and it’s never failed or broken on me: Pulltap's Double-Hinged Waiters Corkscrew, Black and Stainless Steel https://a.co/ioBVN2v

I bought the air pressure style (buy 1, get one free!) and loved it! So I got 2 more, and gave one to my mother in law and one to my mom. Went to use the one I brought up to the cabin and it failed the first time I tried to use it. The one I was using at home failed shortly thereafter.

They are supposed to have a warranty but I haven’t followed up on that yet. They were $10/each so I’m not out a WHOLE lot of money, but it’s disappointing. When they work, they really work!

I'm a huge fan of the 'ah so' worm-less screw-less method: View attachment 94116and, as a 'cheap bastard' I can also re-use the corks on my homemade wines after gently extracting them with the ah so View attachment 94115
I buy synthetic corks. Not sure if it's typical, but they're cheaper in my area than cork. Often I pull one within 3 weeks of putting it in. I have a cheap side, but I hate unnecessary waste more. This is intriguing. Also why I am curious about the air pressure versions, I'm just not too excited about needing co2 cartridges. More waste :rolleyes:

This was purchased at Total Wine & More in Florida last year while on vacation for $100 but its heavy duty and works without fail.

Attachments

• IMG_0522.jpeg
    IMG_0522.jpeg
    1 MB · Views: 0
Bought this one at a kitchen store about 10 years ago. It was my go to until the wife saw an electric one and bought one but it’s the back up and travel corkscrew for us. DFBDA7A8-53EC-4194-8E5F-328EDB614E50.jpeg3FEED1C5-E2D7-4D01-B9EE-34C80E527B84.jpeg

Yes, I believe so. The steel part is what makes it great.
Both of the replacements were metal. I thought I was upgrading. Both failed where I stuck in the nail. I chose this one because there was a pin instead of a crimp. At least it gave me an option to rig it up so I wasn't going withoutPXL_20221016_205348277.PORTRAIT.jpg

I love the double hinged waiters version. We also have one like you just posted Dave with the arms. I don’t like it as the silicone ring seems to get lost and it’s fairly flimsy. I was looking at getting a wall mounted one but haven’t just yet. If you go with a corkscrew style in any way, be sure it’s an open corkscrew and not a solid/filled one. Those will just tear up your cork. I am really intrigued by @Gilmango ’s worm-less version. And thank you @balatonwine for the link to the previous thread~

I love the double hinged waiters version. We also have one like you just posted Dave with the arms. I don’t like it as the silicone ring seems to get lost and it’s fairly flimsy. I was looking at getting a wall mounted one but haven’t just yet. If you go with a corkscrew style in any way, be sure it’s an open corkscrew and not a solid/filled one. Those will just tear up your cork. I am really intrigued by @Gilmango ’s worm-less version. And thank you @balatonwine for the link to the previous thread~
Hmmm. I have a nice open spot on the wall next to the wine rack....

I've told this story before -- when I was 17, I was in the package store (liquor store in military speak) at Griffiss AFB with my mother and younger brother. On the notice board was a sheet from Bolla Wines -- free with 2 labels, 1 cork screw. No limit.

So we purchased 6 bottles, soaked the labels that night, and sent them in. Six weeks later we received a box containing 3 corkscrews.

I've been using this corkscrew longer than I've been making wine. When my mom passed away, my dad didn't want it, so hers is in the drawer in my wine area, and it gets used relatively frequently. I assume my brother still has his.

corkscrew.jpg

I've told this story before -- when I was 17, I was in the package store (liquor store in military speak) at Griffiss AFB with my mother and younger brother. On the notice board was a sheet from Bolla Wines -- free with 2 labels, 1 cork screw. No limit.

So we purchased 6 bottles, soaked the labels that night, and sent them in. Six weeks later we received a box containing 3 corkscrews.

I've been using this corkscrew longer than I've been making wine. When my mom passed away, my dad didn't want it, so hers is in the drawer in my wine area, and it gets used relatively frequently. I assume my brother still has his.

View attachment 94132
I'm not sure what my aversion is to this style of opener. There's been one in the drawer now and then, but I've never gotten attached to one. Maybe it feels good for travel, but a home one should be more substantial? I dunno. Clearly they are common.

I think I may have used it wrong in the past. I assume you leverage the cork off the tab, but pretty sure I used the twist and yank approach back in the day like the cheap hotel ones.

I'm a trinket guy. I have all the little things for all my hobbies. I could easily have a dozen like @Kraffty. I've ordered the Ah-so, so far. I also like ingenuity and it's an interesting design. I'm thinking I might like a wall mount. I am a big fan of leverage😄. Maybe this should be on the list too.

I have the ah-so, a sommelier corkscrew, and the double-wing type, all free or dirt cheap from Ohio wineries 15-20 years ago, all still work great. Surprisingly, none were made in China.
This is my contention. There has been a corkscrew in every house I have lived in since I was a child. I have never broken one, let alone 2 in 2 weeks. I can see making a product cheap so wear points wear out and people upgrade, but to be completely incapable of what it was designed for and failing in the first week... Don't get me started!

I'm not sure what my aversion is to this style of opener. There's been one in the drawer now and then, but I've never gotten attached to one. Maybe it feels good for travel, but a home one should be more substantial? I dunno. Clearly they are common.
It's called a "waiter's corkscrew", and it's effective. Yes, use the lever.

I have a bunch of corkpulls ("as-so") and on occasion one will fail to pull a cork. My faithful Bolla has never failed!

Latest posts

Back