I know this is in the wrong place but I'm lost lol!!

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SassyBoots

Junior
Reaction score
Hi Everyone!! Been here for awhile, have not hopped on much but I have a question.....making Dragons Blood for the first time and for whatever reason I can't seem to post in the relevant thread.

I don't usually close the lid on my primary(meaning i leave it open a few inches for the oxygen)but the recipe for Danger Dave says to "uncover primary" on day two, and so on, until it ferments dry. What is the standard practice for this wine? I have just always found letting some oxygen in helps with the ferment but I don't want to screw this up. The recipe states to cover and uncover. Just looking for some people who have made the Dragons Blood both ways, or opinions on which works better. Or if it even matters. Currently fermenting just blueberries(its what I had on hand already)at a temp at or just below 80 degrees-just pitched my yeast tonite and the brew looks happy as heck so far. I'm so excited to finally try this recipe and just want to make sure I'm doing all of it right. Thanks in advance, and if this question needs to get moved to a different thread, thanks for that also. Can't see to find where I need to be. :)

* yeast need SOME oxygen to reproduce and build cell mass, at the end of a ferment there can be 1,000,000,000 folks in a carboy
* once the starting mass of cells have baby yeast oh say three days at room temp ,,, well there are enough to do the job and the city gets crowded,,, they run out of limiting nutrients
* when oxygen is limited yeast will switch to alcohol producing metabolism exclusively (there is also some when oxygen is present), alcohol metabolism is birth control for yeast
* a cloth, a board, a lose cover will keep fruit flys etc out yet some oxygen in (it doesn’t require much to let babies keep happening)
* fruit flys and other bugs and dirt are bad, frequently producing off flavors as vinegar

*# 80F is on the high side, yeast work faster (doing a weeks work in four days) and have higher demands on nutrients/ oxygen, 50F is the low end for many wine yeast, however they have an easier life (lower nutrient demand) like being on vacation for three weeks in the carboy

Hi Sassy! If you are using the Dragon's Blood recipe found here ( DangerDave's Dragon Blood Wine | Wine Making Talk ), it includes the following:
  • Cover primary: Do not snap down the lid or add an airlock. Cover the lid with a cloth or towel.
Just saying. Good luck!
Hi Rick!!!!

I managed to find an old sheer curtain(quit laughing lol!!!) that i don't use anymore that I soaked in "the pink stuff" and then sanitized and rinsed. It worked really well as a screen over the primary, so I'll be doing that with my wines from now on. I know the extra oxygen really gives them a boost. I don't even snap the lid on my kit wines anymore.

Guess I'm just a bit nervous about the wine.....I've tried different recipes for some real home made wine rather than kit wine before this, and its honestly been more misses than hits....including having corks pop....But I've been so intrigued by this wine for so long I just bit the bullet and tried it.

My fermentation is all done, I just finished the step adding the clearing agent. Now to sit back and see what happens. I had a very active and happy ferment right up til probably Thursday then it dropped off. Readings said it was ready for the finishing steps.

I now have 8lbs of Raspberries thawing-I had a ton in the freezer from last summer. My plan is to start the process all over again tommorrow, but trying it with just Raspberries.

While I have everyone here, I was thinking I'd rather not use granulated sugar to back sweeten....I picked up some wine conditioner instead. I think I read here someone also used the grape concentrate from the wine supply store to help sweeten and add body? Was wondering if anyone can share some feedback on how this all worked out for them? It will be a minimum of a week before I rack again and sweeten, so if anyone can pass on some pointers on this one I'd sure appreciate it :)

Cheers and thanks so much for responding. Sorry I didn't get back before now but its been a busy week. :)

* yeast need SOME oxygen to reproduce and build cell mass, at the end of a ferment there can be 1,000,000,000 folks in a carboy
* once the starting mass of cells have baby yeast oh say three days at room temp ,,, well there are enough to do the job and the city gets crowded,,, they run out of limiting nutrients
* when oxygen is limited yeast will switch to alcohol producing metabolism exclusively (there is also some when oxygen is present), alcohol metabolism is birth control for yeast
* a cloth, a board, a lose cover will keep fruit flys etc out yet some oxygen in (it doesn’t require much to let babies keep happening)
* fruit flys and other bugs and dirt are bad, frequently producing off flavors as vinegar

*# 80F is on the high side, yeast work faster (doing a weeks work in four days) and have higher demands on nutrients/ oxygen, 50F is the low end for many wine yeast, however they have an easier life (lower nutrient demand) like being on vacation for three weeks in the carboy
Hi and thanks for the feedback. I think it all went ok, but I'll remember that for the next batch. I thought reds did better at a higher temp? Better body and color? Just did my first racking and I can't wait to watch this one clear up. I have some Raspberries ready for the next batch....after that I'll probably get a bit more adventurous and try some other blends. Appreciate the pointer! :)

Welcome, and around here on that question you’ll get answers all over the map, from leave uncovered (with a cloth cover), to put it under airlock from day one.
really it’s all your choice.
Appreciated. I'm forever second guessing myself. Like I mentioned to Rick I found a method I like....old pair of sheer drapes, cut to fit the primary then cleaned and sanitized well. Secured to the middle of the primary with a bungee cord lol. I'm such a redneck.

Cheers!!

While I have everyone here, I was thinking I'd rather not use granulated sugar to back sweeten....I picked up some wine conditioner instead. I think I read here someone also used the grape concentrate from the wine supply store to help sweeten and add body? Was wondering if anyone can share some feedback on how this all worked out for them? It will be a minimum of a week before I rack again and sweeten, so if anyone can pass on some pointers on this one I'd sure appreciate it :)

I'm afraid I'm not much use to you on this subject. I have not reached that point on my first batch, but as this is my first patch I've already planned to use table sugar. Just FYI, I use an old cotton bedsheet cut into circles and secured with butcher's twine to cover my 2 gallon primary. Raspberries sound great!

Back