I Just Lost My Cherry

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

btom2004

Wine On My Mind
Reaction score
:sm...Well in a sense I did...LOL...
My Cherlemon wine (Seeker Pee,) has lost its cherry red color. There it is in the below photo. It was a brilliant red when it went into primary. When I pitched yeast it turned purple.

A day after adding fining agents, it seems to have lost all red pigment altogether.

I made the cherry wine from a cheap gal-wine kit, plus added a small jar of cherry smuckers preserves. I then use the gal-mixed with SP starter recipe.
I guess that was all dye-food coloring or something and the act of fermention has removed it?

It looks to be clearing great though, but I wanted it to be Cherry red not lemon yellow. What should I do? Or should I just chage the name to Lemoncheri wine...
P.S. Why can't I keep my bung in without tape?:sm Is it too big or something?

MyCherry.jpg

Last edited:
Well thats what happens when you drink too much and decide to play around. :) If you had a deep red wine you could add just a tinge of it to add some color, but I would try a bench test first. Do not use Kool Aid for coloring. It'll drop out. Did you try wiping the inside of your carboy and bung with a paper towel? Many times thats all it needs to work.

So your stopper keeps falling out and you JUST lost your cherry, right. ;)

Have you tried them weird look'n bungs, silicon maybe, they work better for me then the natural bungs.

Well thats what happens when you drink too much and decide to play around. :) If you had a deep red wine you could add just a tinge of it to add some color, but I would try a bench test first. Do not use Kool Aid for coloring. It'll drop out. Did you try wiping the inside of your carboy and bung with a paper towel? Many times thats all it needs to work.
You must be a mind reader. I was thinking kool aid...and I guess I will wipe dry the carboy and bung the next time. I'll try to get some sort of cherry or red wine.

So your stopper keeps falling out and you JUST lost your cherry, right. ;)

Have you tried them weird look'n bungs, silicon maybe, they work better for me then the natural bungs.
Will have to look into this.

Thanks all for the help

That's the ones, hey Brew and Wine Supply has them and cheap shipping for 3 of them and a few more saved cents with the 4th sale going on.

Make sure you get enough of them and also solid ones. Remember if you turn these upside down they'll fit on wine bottles for the little bit of wine you have left for topping up.

When I want a pink lemonade I wait until I have filtered a red wine then run the skeeter after through the same filters Voilà Pink Lemonade with a kick.

Yes K-Meta was added. I didn't know it robs colors. Thought you use it for all wines at fining time no? I was going to use some to backsweeten my Merlot, but not if it will turn red wine into white.:ts

Last edited:
It robs some but not all the color. Pour a little red wine in a glass and stir in a little K-Meta and see what happens.

It robs some but not all the color. Pour a little red wine in a glass and stir in a little K-Meta and see what happens.
Just conducted the test. Sample went from dark red to light rose red color. Is this just the way it is and is acceptable? Or do you add color back to your wines with F-packs? What color should a Merlot be dark or light red?

Latest posts

Back