I haven't seen this approach discussed here

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I've been at this wine making for 6 months now and have 9 batches under my belt. I'm most excited for the Merlot from a pail of pure juice from No. Cal. I've got aging. My question is... come next september I'd like to buy three 5.4 gal pails - cabernet, merlot and pinot noir and at the same time buy a lug of grapes (mayby cabernet or zinfandel) to crush, divide and add to the 3 pails.

A distributor ships juice and grapes to a cold storage in L.A. whenever it's harvest time. The chilled juice has nothing added but a little sulfite. At 70 to 80.00 a bucket and 45 to 55.00 a lug I'm thinking about 100.00/batch is pretty inexpensive for about the freshest ingredients I can get my hands on.

Am I missing something or is this about as close to making wine from grapes as I can get without the hassle of all grapes. Talk about kits as the gateway drug, It's 9 months out from next harvest and I'm scheduling my next big fix.
.......I'm sensing a lot of "DUHS" coming but haven't seen this talked about before.

Mike

Grapes are a hassel only if you are making too much. I have always made wine from whole grapes and am amazed at how much cheaper it is. I also get a kick out of knowing that my wine started out "at square one" so to speak.

If you have a desire, I would recomend that you give whole fruit a try. Come on in, the water is just fine!

I'd like to do the whole grape thing some time when I have more room, time, money....excuses.... and have nectarine/strawberry and grape/pineapple batches from whole fruit aging now. I'm enjoying learning as much as I can and would guess eventually I'll kind of settle in to what ever aspect of wine making that suits my tastes best.

Next fall is too far away, have to start planning for the Chilean grape season!

I did something similar this fall. My grapevines got hit by frost last spring, so I didn't get the harvest I hoped for, just 14lbs of norton grapes. I bought a bucket of Petit Sirah and added my grapes. So far so good, I tasted it last racking and it is promising.

I've been at this wine making for 6 months now and have 9 batches under my belt. I'm most excited for the Merlot from a pail of pure juice from No. Cal. I've got aging. My question is... come next september I'd like to buy three 5.4 gal pails - cabernet, merlot and pinot noir and at the same time buy a lug of grapes (mayby cabernet or zinfandel) to crush, divide and add to the 3 pails.

A distributor ships juice and grapes to a cold storage in L.A. whenever it's harvest time. The chilled juice has nothing added but a little sulfite. At 70 to 80.00 a bucket and 45 to 55.00 a lug I'm thinking about 100.00/batch is pretty inexpensive for about the freshest ingredients I can get my hands on.

Am I missing something or is this about as close to making wine from grapes as I can get without the hassle of all grapes. Talk about kits as the gateway drug, It's 9 months out from next harvest and I'm scheduling my next big fix.
.......I'm sensing a lot of "DUHS" coming but haven't seen this talked about before.

Mike
This is done quite often to give juice more body.People here also add raisins and banana's.Im all about grapes so i have not done it,but its talked about allot.

Back