I have another mystery grape :(!

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CK55

Reaction score
I know it's a big if, but I have this white wine grape that has been growing on my property as long as the criolla I have no idea what it is. And don't care due to having 2 vines to pay $350 for DNA testing so I was wondering if anyone might have some idea what it might be. Some Interesting things is that it sort of grows crawling on the ground, makes small but tightly packed grapes that are sort of oval shaped. It hasn't done particularly well. I don't know if it's due to the climate or soil.

https://imgur.com/a/iHgEs5Q

Here's a couple pics of the leaves.

This is the last mystery grape lol, all I can tell you is the cuttings were taken at the same time as the criolla cuttings from vines over 100 years old at time of cutting. And these are 40 years old.

These came from Murphy's area/calaveras area of California.

I know its a wine grape but struggling with the Id.

Can you get a picture of a cluster? Does it have wings? As ripenin*, does it go gold, pink, or?

Can you get a picture of a cluster? Does it have wings? As ripenin*, does it go gold, pink, or?
It had only made one cluster which was quickly destroyed by birds so im not sure, what do you mean by wings?

Ive never seen a ripe grape on this vine, as it really hasnt been making any untill the last couple years and they usually havent made it to full ripeness.

what do you mean by wings?

Side clusters on additional stem. See below:

Capture5.jpg

Side clusters on additional stem. See below:

Capture5.jpg
The cluster I have seen is small almost round tightly packed oval shaped grapes with not very many per cluster kinda like cylindrical but cut in half.

The cluster I have seen is small almost round tightly packed oval shaped grapes with not very many per cluster kinda like cylindrical but cut in half.

Unfortunately, since you only have one cluster as a sample, it may not be descriptive. In fact, it probably is not if the vine does not otherwise produce clusters and it is just producing a cluster under stress. I can find small cluster shapes as you describe from all my 7 varieties, even when their "normal" full cluster shapes vary widely between varieties.

From leaves alone, I doubt this vine can be identified beyond a short(ish) list. And oval berries does help a bit to limit the options.

But, since you know its source history, can you narrow the possible list a bit from historical records that may exist from the site where the cuttings were taken?

I
Unfortunately, since you only have one cluster as a sample, it may not be descriptive. In fact, it probably is not if the vine does not otherwise produce clusters and it is just producing a cluster under stress. I can find small cluster shapes as you describe from all my 7 varieties, even when their "normal" full cluster shapes vary widely between varieties.

From leaves alone, I doubt this vine can be identified beyond a short(ish) list. And oval berries does help a bit to limit the options.

But, since you know its source history, can you narrow the possible list a bit from historical records that may exist from the site where the cuttings were taken?
I do know quite a lot of Austrian grapes ended up in the area I'm quite suspicious. the vine just doesn't produce well for whatever the reason. So I haven't gotten a chance to check out more clusters.

I mean even a shortlist from just the leaves would narrow it down a bit more. Mike at Carlisle winery nailed the I'd from leaves of my last grape, and UC Davis confirmed he was right. If I had enough to be worth it I would get it DNA tested but I have 2 vines I was just hoping to find out what it was so I could look into what is causing the poor growth and attempt to grow more of it.

Just looking at like 200 white grapes aligote looks pretty close cluster wise to how my grapes look.

Last edited:
https://imgur.com/a/udFHBIK

Pics aren't best because I covered the cluster that formed this year and I didn't have the ability to remove netting it's zip tied. Basically that's what it looks like.

Latest posts

Back