Quantcast

I have a white ring...

Wine Making Talk

Help Support Wine Making Talk:

JCBurg

Reaction score
FB8BCF36-4871-4A58-8609-5402B0B4FE60.jpeg 3E96A7FF-6CD1-46CB-A45A-984A148468BB.jpeg 1763CCF0-2B60-418C-BF0B-AB34A3DB38EE.jpeg 08F952C4-43A0-4D45-A161-F036B2A34466.jpeg So I have two gallons of the same batch of grapefruit wine. One has developed a peculiar white ring at the top of the wine where it terminates in the neck of the jug. Anyone seen this before? Should I be concerned with it? Is it just some residual fermentation? I ask because the other is clear with no ring. I have attached pictures as well. I hope I didn’t get some kind of fungus or something. Its my first wine and it would be a shame to lose half of it.

JCBurg

Reaction score
I really hope somebody sees this

View attachment 48386 View attachment 48387 View attachment 48388 View attachment 48389 So I have two gallons of the same batch of grapefruit wine. One has developed a peculiar white ring at the top of the wine where it terminates in the neck of the jug. Anyone seen this before? Should I be concerned with it? Is it just some residual fermentation? I ask because the other is clear with no ring. I have attached pictures as well. I hope I didn’t get some kind of fungus or something. Its my first wine and it would be a shame to lose half of it.

Arne

Reaction score
Not sure, but try giving it a bit of a shake. See if it doesn't start falling to the bottom. Maybe a shot of k-meta (campden tabs) at this time also. Don"t have a lot of information like wherein the ferment process are you. Is it done, still fermenting, or been aging for a while. Arne.

meadmaker1

WMT Supporter
Reaction score
This has come up in threads before. I get it in some as as well.
I tell myself its just dead yeast.
It seems to happen more in my top up carboys and younger secondaries ( these have more lees )
It usualy sticks to the car boy during clearing racking.

JCBurg

Reaction score
Not sure, but try giving it a bit of a shake. See if it doesn't start falling to the bottom. Maybe a shot of k-meta (campden tabs) at this time also. Don"t have a lot of information like wherein the ferment process are you. Is it done, still fermenting, or been aging for a while. Arne.
It’s been aging for a little while. A couple months now. Fermentation totally done,

JCBurg

Reaction score
It seems to happen more in my top up carboys and younger secondaries ( these have more lees )
I was thinking something like that, some kind of residual but, being a beginner I just don’t have the experience to make a sound judgement on it. I was trying not to be too worried and be cool about it and failing miserably! My poor baby wine!

JCBurg

Reaction score
Would you bottle it?

meadmaker1

WMT Supporter
Reaction score
Let sit it. Rack it at three montns most of it should stick to the car boy. I ve drawn it off with my glass turkey baster.
If your ready to bottle you might strain it through a reusable coffee filter.

JCBurg

Reaction score
Let sit it. Rack it at three montns most of it should stick to the car boy. I ve drawn it off with my glass turkey baster.
If your ready to bottle you might strain it through a reusable coffee filter.
Sweet! Thanks for the advice. I will give it a try with the filter and see what happens. I really like that idea

Venatorscribe

bucket chemist
Reaction score
Don't worry about the white ring. It is highly the breakdown rubbish from a malo lacto fermentation. MLF is good. Allow it to work then rack in a month. Then again another month after that. Treating your ferment with potassium metabisulphite at each racking.