I hate my thermometers

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Quick question. What type of thermometers do you like to use for must? Reason I ask is because I simply do not trust mine.
I use the stick-ons that I put on the sides of my fermenters and carboys. And I use the probe thermometer with the round face and needle for direct liquid contact and I hate them. Different readings all the time (even with 2 stick-ons on either side of a container) and I just simply don't trust them. ImageUploadedByWine Making1484620138.985518.jpg

I have a Thermapen I use for cooking that makes easy work of quick must temp checks. Quick readings, and very accurate. Not the cheapest therm out there, but I've never wanted another one since I got that one.

thermometers

I bought a "quick read" thermos at Wallyworld. In the BBQ section.The probe folds up into the handle. Both C and F scales. About $10 so I bought another one. Unless you buy lab grade thermo's, they might be less than agreeable with one another. I used to run into this when working with electronic test meters. IMHO, several degrees difference is not a problem. I know of no reading that needs to be accurate to 1-2 degrees.And use only ONE instrument.

I use inferred also but what is all the big deal about temperature anyways. What is it going to do to make your winemaking any better. About the only time I use mine is for making yeast cultures. Your Hydrometer and ph meter are your real friends. On the flip side it is interesting to watch your temperature curve as you go through fermentation to understand it but don't get hung up on it.

Last edited by a moderator:
Infrared thermometers only measure surface temperatures and are not reliable on shiny reflective surfaces; they are best used on solid color surfaces. They are great thermometers for general household maintenance etc, and they will work for some winemaking applications, but you have to be aware of their limitations.

I use inferred also but what is all the big deal about temperature anyways. What is it going to do to make your winemaking any better. About the only time I use mine is for making yeast cultures. Your Hydrometer and ph meter are your real friends. On the flip side it is interesting to watch your temperature curve as you go through fermentation to understand it but don't get hung up on it.

It's a point of reference, and can be used if I need to troubleshoot. Not much more. An optional piece of equipment, IMHO. But it is nice to have as a reference.

I measure temperature prior to throwing yeast mostly to ensure it's in the right temperature range. During fermentation week, I record it but mainly just to understand how active the yeast is. (gravity changes can do this too, but it takes me 30 seconds to get an accurate reading)

Once fermentation is done, I really don't measure it anymore unless I think there might be a problem or if the room temperature has vastly changed.

I have an IR temperature gun too, but I haven't used it before. Next time I start a batch, I will compare the two and see how close they are. IR guns are not very accurate. Mostly used to get an approximate temperature. For the most part, that is likely good enough for home winemaking.

Last edited:
It's a point of reference, and can be used if I need to troubleshoot. Not much more. An optional piece of equipment, IMHO. But it is nice to have as a reference.

Ditto. It is just for giving a general idea. But, since heat rises, the surface should be the warmest area. My shiny stainless steel dial thermometer is off by at least 15 degrees, assuming my other bulb thermometer is correct and I know it is off 5-6 degrees.

Also agree it is not a big deal in wine making, but it can be in beer making (and I don't even brew all grain). Mostly for working with yeast which I always rehydrate....I confess, I'm a yeast Soaker, not a Sprinkler!

What I really like about my IR is it make a fine indoor pistol for playing shoot from the hip and it can drive a cat insane!

I must have a good one :try Trust it to within a degree or so.

Took these 2 pictures just minutes ago...

IMAG0500[1].jpg

IMAG0501[1].jpg

Last edited:
Ive never been too concerned with temperature either. But I started a primary in the winter for the first time in my unheated basement. And it's cold out
While troubleshooting I ended up using a large container filled with water with an aquarium heater and my primaries (2 of em. A 6 gal and 1 gal) inside that container.
And I was just trying to maintain somewhat of a steady temp and keep it from dropping too low. That's all.
Meant as a quick question

Latest posts

Back