I got some Muscadines free.

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

myakkagldwngr

Reaction score
A friend of my daughters sent me directions to a house in town that had muscadines growing on a fence going to the birds.
They said they would rather someone use them and not have them fall on the ground like last year.
I ended up with 37 pounds and they taste pretty sweet. If I had taken a ladder with me, I could have gotten another 20 pounds from parts of the vine that had climbed up an orange tree. Hard to haul a ladder on a motorcycle though.
I've searched the posts and as a general rule of thumb see that with muscadines I should use 5 to 6 pounds per gallon.
What suggestions do you have for my first batch of real grape?

After washing them up and then crushing them in two pulp bags and the SG was 1.061. Sure is a lot higher than the 1.02 my black berries averaged.
So they are in a plastic primary with some campden tablets.
After you crush the grapes, what color is the juice in the beginning? I have to say this is a little on the greenish side, but the berries were dark purple and ripe to the point some would fall off the vines easily when you touched them.

Back