I found a new way to get free bottles

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

arcticsid

Arctic Contributor
Reaction score
There is a wine tasting coming up at a local bar, happens I know the owner, so for a $20 ticket, not only do I get to sample some nice wines, and he said I can have all the empties! Last one the went through 8 cases. 8 cases may not seem like alot for a wine tasting, but hey, this is Fairbanks.

There is a wine tasting coming up at a local bar, happens I know the owner, so for a $20 ticket, not only do I get to sample some nice wines, and he said I can have all the empties! Last one the went through 8 cases. 8 cases may not seem like alot for a wine tasting, but hey, this is Fairbanks.

Huuummmmm!! $20 bucks/free wine/free bottles sounds like a deal to me
Hope you got a DD

Great deal, if you live near a winery that also works if they do wine tastings. I get quite a few that way also.

hell Jerry, I'm hoping not to pick up a DD! I'll have to make sure I pick up a little anti DDI powder.(Dont drink it)
:D
(unless shes cute and she likes wine)
Troy

What about bottling in Gallon jugs?

There is obviously alot of discussion concerning bottling, but most of it concerns standard size wine bottles. If you wanted to bottle in 1 gallon jugs would there be any other considerations besides a larger cork? And when it comes to a corker, would it be able to accomandate a cork large enough for a gallon jug? And....will the wine age and mellow any differently in a larger containere as opposed to a regular bottle?
Troy

And....will the wine age and mellow any differently in a larger containere as opposed to a regular bottle?
Troy

Bulk aging is better, so aging in larger containers is always a bonus. That is one of the appeals of Magnums. Standard bottle sizes are just for serving and storage convenience.

I have never seen a gallon jug that receives corks myself and dont even think of corking a screw top bottle please as I have read many a post where omeone did that and the bottle either broke while corking or uncorking and has severed tendons or something to that effect. They are not as strong as cork bottles at the area where the cork is inserted. As for bottling in gallon jugs, sure if you really drink that much that fast so as when you open it it doesnt go bad. An open bottle usually tastes very flat after a few days even with a vacuvin stopper.

Wade, remember, I am posting from the middle of Alaska, in the middle of winter. Opening and finishing a gallon jug of wine would not be a problem. I realize the type with screw tops may pose a problem and I wouldn't consider it. It would be pretty neat to be able to come up with a bunch of magnum bottles. I most likely will go with standard bottles but was considering other options. I sure understand what your saying regarding the strength of the bottles. Point well taken.

Take Care
Troy

So, for yall using 1 gallon jugs for carboys, are yall able to use those that had screw on lids?

I hope so, I just got ahold of 6 of them for free. I hate to think they are useless.

Sorry for the hijack Troy. :eek:

Mike D

Do you have some gallon jugs that are made for corks as i have never seen 1!

MJD, wine supply stores sell new screwon caps for these, I know finevinewines does and Im sure many others must also.

I had to laugh, you just straight busted me for my newness on that one. I didnt know they didnt make 1 gallon cork bottles. I guess if I had taken time to think that through I would have realized that I had never seen one.

MJD, wine supply stores sell new screwon caps for these, I know finevinewines does and Im sure many others must also.

I will have to get some of those new caps from finevinewines I expect. I really got the one gallon bottles for so that I could brew small batches of stuff. I ordered extra bungs and airlocks.

Nice score!!! There is a wine bar around here that gives use empties too, I need to ask if they will hold a tasting. Way to go.

The 38mm caps fit the large jugs and do a great job... I put the wine and cider in them that I will drink so I don't waste my 750ml bottles. They are a great replacement for the metal caps that come on most of them.

While there is a bottle deposit law in Vermont, Wine Bottles are not included and go to the transfer station for recycling. A local bar has barrels full of empties destined for the transfer station. He gave me three cases and access to any more that I want.

Nice Xmas gift.

The local wine bar by me "doesn't have time" to clean and reuse bottles.... So 26 free cases and counting =)

-Brian

The local wine bar by me "doesn't have time" to clean and reuse bottles.... So 26 free cases and counting =)

-Brian

Nice... I need bottles, so I'm going to have to start hitting up some of the local places.

I have a couple of Carlos Rossi jugs that originally took screw caps. Using rubber bungs in them now. I think a nuber 4 in there.

Great idea! I've found a lot of bars will hold on to the empties for you if you ask nicely

Wade E, from your profile I think you may be a little too young to remember them but in the 50's, 60's and I think early 70's milk used to be bottled in a one gallon glass jug with a little finger loop on the neck. I think, but my memory could be faulty they had a stopper top. We used to have a bunch of them in our old barn, used them to transport oil from the barrel to the field for tractors, chemical, ect. and over time I guess they all got broke or thrown away. I would guess there are still some around if you could find them.

Back