I forgot to add enzyme pouch

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wineomaker

Reaction score
I forgot to add the enzyme pouch after first racking of my cellar craft Pinot Noir - Bella Sonoma Vineyard I am at the clearing stage now and have not added any other ingredients, and i dont know what to do, tech support is closed for the day at cellar craft,

you can add the pectic enzyme before or after fermentation but if your wine is clearing now, I am not sure if you would really need it. Pectic enzyme when used in a juice is more to ensure clearing than anything else, if you were making a wine from real fruit it would help in breaking down the fruit.

I forgot to add the enzyme pouch after first racking of my cellar craft Pinot Noir - Bella Sonoma Vineyard I am at the clearing stage now and have not added any other ingredients, and i dont know what to do, tech support is closed for the day at cellar craft,

Sometimes the packet can be left out completely without any issue. That has been the case many times for other CC wine makers, but just wasn't the case for me. Don't know why.

I made a similar mistake with my CC kit. After clearing I later added a second packet, which I got from George. It didn't work at all. I then had to get a third packet, which I added. After that packet sat in the wine for 14 days, I had to use a half teaspoon of bentonite to stir in and leave for a few more days. Once it settled and I racked that off, the film was finally gone, but only after all this and 6 months in the carboy.

If you add it, then immediately clear the wine, the enzymes likely will be dragged straight to the bottom. I think the enzyme needs to stay in the wine for a number of days.

You could be just fine without it or by adding it just before you clear. If I were you, I would put an air lock on for the night and contact customer service at CC in the morning and do as they suggest.

I have the same kit and also did not add the enzyme when I racked to the carboy. I found this after about 10 days in the carboy. I contacted Vineco and they recommended that I add it and leave it for a few days longer. I plan on leaving it for about a week and then doing the degas and add the clarifiers.
Note that mine had absolutely no evidence of the white ring at the top of the carboy but I went ahead and added it.

If you are not sure what to do because of the stage you are in, I would just leave it alone until Vineco can respond to your specific situation.

Pectic can be added at anytime - but like Julie said - if there isn't a haze - I wouldn't worry about adding it.

I found this information from an old Cellar Craft release regarding the enzyme:

This is called Vinoflow FCE and it is an age-old natural red winemaking enzyme that has a few purposes:

* Quicker secondary fermentation
* Faster clearing - could eliminate the need for extra kieselsol packs
* Easier filtering - no plugging and can put more wines through a set of pads
* No sediment fall-out in the bottles. The sediment falls out in the carboy instead.
* Noted to improve the aromatics
* Note - This is not a chemical and doesn't strip the wine in any way, shape or form

ibglowin said:
I keep saying that but nobody is listening.......

I heard you Mike - last year. That's how I knew it wasn't pectic enzyme in my thread. :)

Latest posts

Back