I forgot to add Chitosan!

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hey forum,

I am on my third kit, a Pinot Noir. Just realized I forgot to add Chitosan. I am at a step where I should be racking wine off of sediment, and then either age further or bottle.

Should I just rack anyway, do I need to leave it for a couple more weeks to allow natural clearing? For cloudiness it looked fine in a wine glass, and if I shine my phone's light through I can only see a small red dot from the light.

Hey forum,

I am on my third kit, a Pinot Noir. Just realized I forgot to add Chitosan. I am at a step where I should be racking wine off of sediment, and then either age further or bottle.

Should I just rack anyway, do I need to leave it for a couple more weeks to allow natural clearing? For cloudiness it looked fine in a wine glass, and if I shine my phone's light through I can only see a small red dot from the light.

No good sense in stirring up the sediment that has already accumulated, so go ahead and rack off of that. If you wish to clear naturally, then just let it sit and age after racking, or you can add the chitosan in if you wish and allow it to continue to clear that way.

Back