RJ Spagnols I finally bought an RJS kit!!

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ColemanM

Reaction score
Ok so my LHBS was having a 20% off flash sale, and being that I have a Syrah and two Cab frozen musts fermenting right now, I decided I needed a few kits to get the last drops of goodness out of my grape skins. Since I heard so many good things about the Cellar craft rosso fortissimo, I picked that up. Passed on the enigma, passed on the chateau du roi, both were in my cart, but decided on a WE argentine Malbec and a RJS cellar classic Cali cab, Zin Syrah. Pretty excited about all these choices. The Malbec will get the Syrah grapes. The others will get the cab grapes. Anyone done that RJS kit yet?

Last edited:
I saw the sale, and stopped in. They had two of the WE LE Kits that were tempting (20% off the $139 list price is $112). But, I decided to stick with the boycott.

The guy said this is the last 20% off until Black Friday. I'm sure they will have a few more sales during the year.

I got spoiled by the 20% off after every Packers win, which was mostly every week. No so fortunate up your way.

Sorry, can't help you with the RJS Cellar Classic California Cab.

Finally started this kit with an extra 750 ml water and 3 gallons pressed Cabernet skins. 1.094 was the SG. Debating bumping it up a bit with simple syrup. But think there's @ 1-2 brix left in the skins. Smelled like a chocolate bar haha worried it will turn into a black Forrest port :p

Ok so my LHBS was having a 20% off flash sale, and being that I have a Syrah and two Cab frozen musts fermenting right now, I decided I needed a few kits to get the last drops of goodness out of my grape skins. Since I heard so many good things about the Cellar craft rosso fortissimo, I picked that up. Passed on the enigma, passed on the chateau du roi, both were in my cart, but decided on a WE argentine Malbec and a RJS cellar classic Cali cab, Zin Syrah. Pretty excited about all these choices. The Malbec will get the Syrah grapes. The others will get the cab grapes. Anyone done that RJS kit yet?

Just to clarify. Are you reusing the grape skins (as in second run) or blending some of the must with the kits?

Did you reuse skins in a prior kit and how did it turn out?

I am doing 400-500# of grapes next fall and would definitely like to stretch my dollars if it help improve my kits!

Just to clarify. Are you reusing the grape skins (as in second run) or blending some of the must with the kits?

Did you reuse skins in a prior kit and how did it turn out?

I am doing 400-500# of grapes next fall and would definitely like to stretch my dollars if it help improve my kits!

I ran an experiment late last summer. I started a Showcase Amarone on Aug 8. I transferred from primary on 8/18 but kept the gross lees and grape pack. I added a GCI Barolo (including the GenuWine grape skins and oak) to the gross lees, along with a teaspoon of BM4X4 yeast and a tablespoon of basic tannin and 2 teaspoons of Fermax. Fermentation began in earnest within an hour.

I transferred off lees 8/24 and added an ounce of American heavy chips and a teaspoon of tannin riche extra. I bottled 11/15/14 and I was a little concerned the tannins might still be a bit light

I opened a bottle this week and all I can say is WOW! It is perfectly balanced at this point and I am so happy I did the experiment. I call it Barolo Ripasso Style. I will do it again in a heartbeat. I plan another Showcase Amarone next summer and I will follow it up with another Barolo, made the same way.

Was it the second run skins, the gross lees, the combination of all that plus a very nice kit? Who knows and who cares. The result is outstanding. Go for it! Anything that adds flavors is worth the effort.

This was once pressed Syrah grape skins. When fermentation was complete on my Syrah must, I pressed the grapes, then made up a Malbec kit and tossed the Syrah skins into the fermenter. It is now dry at .990 (love kits for that!!) and I will press skins and discard them today.
I have never reused a kit grape skin pack. They seem pretty spent after fermentation is complete.

This was once pressed Syrah grape skins.
I have never reused a kit grape skin pack. They seem pretty spent after fermentation is complete.
I did it once, and e-mailed WE to ask if it was ok. The response was that I had wasted my effort, and the skins are spent after one primary fermentation. I noticed no difference in the kit that was produced that way, and I didn't do it again . Your mileage may vary.

Latest posts

Back