I feel so stupid!!!

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

myakkagldwngr

Reaction score
I know, I know.
It's expected,,,,
and almost everyone has done it....
But this morning after taking a SG reading in my Loquat,,,
I was standing there after washing my hydrometer,,,
and thought,,, I can't believe I've had this thing a year now and haven't broken it.
So I put it in the plastic tube,
it touched the bottom,,,,
and continued right on to the tile floor,
where it exploded.
I don't mind that I broke it,,,
but to do it while thinking about it.
Like Forrest Gump said,,, "stupid is as stupid does.

It's okay, go ahead and laugh.

Don't worry. I only today realized my new Hydrometer wasn't calibrated properly! DUH! :)

But two. I recently broke mine after 2 years of no problems.

So I bought two and have one safely stored.

Is there mercury in a hydrometer? I don't think so, I believe it's weighted.
Do not know. Anyway watch out for broken shards.

But two. I recently broke mine after 2 years of no problems.

So I bought two and have one safely stored.

I also have two. I think anyone who has broken one has a spare now.
NOTE: If you have not broke one, please keep in mind they only break when you need them most and the local store are closed.

Oh Yeah, I also own two wine thieves (one glass one plastic). Care to guess why?

Its just small lead shot in all hydros unless you have an extremely old one, Im not saying they ever had anything different then lead shot, I just dont know of any that didnt.

The one I broke came from my brother who bought a kit to make some blackberry and doing it on his own got disappointed with the results. So now I have most of his equipment.
The new one is a little different. It seems to have a little more room between each major number for much finer readings.
$10.00 at my local M&P's and $5.00 for a better cylinder to use it with.

The one I broke came from my brother who bought a kit to make some blackberry and doing it on his own got disappointed with the results. So now I have most of his equipment.
The new one is a little different. It seems to have a little more room between each major number for much finer readings.
$10.00 at my local M&P's and $5.00 for a better cylinder to use it with.
I bet your not telling him about this forum or he'd probably want his stuff back!

I broke two within the last year and I am hoping no more. I broke a wine glass the other day and I am sitting on pins and needles that doesn't prelude me breaking something else in winemaking. But I would rather it be a hydrometer than a carboy. :<

Julie, don't get us started with a carboy curse!!!
I've only got two glass ones and don't want to break either one.
Wine glasses have caught h**l lately with me. Rinse it out and then give it a gentle shake to get rid of the excess water and by mistake, tap the sink!
Wade, I don't think he would try and get started again. He's happy buying Pino Noir and drinking an occasional bottle from me.
I'll admit he finally tried the blackberry I gave him. It was almost ten months old and he said it surprised him.
I'll be glad when I can buy a couple good kits and make both us some real grape!

Julie, don't get us started with a carboy curse!!!
I've only got two glass ones and don't want to break either one.
Wine glasses have caught h**l lately with me. Rinse it out and then give it a gentle shake to get rid of the excess water and by mistake, tap the sink!
Wade, I don't think he would try and get started again. He's happy buying Pino Noir and drinking an occasional bottle from me.
I'll admit he finally tried the blackberry I gave him. It was almost ten months old and he said it surprised him.
I'll be glad when I can buy a couple good kits and make both us some real grape!

I think it already started, someone cracked a carboy! I'm just holding my breath that it doesn't happen to me and I think I am going to have Mike handle all the carboys just in case one breaks it will be his fault and he will have to buy the new one :)

I would like to try that with Nancy, but she barely takes a sip of wine when I offer, so messing with my equipment is a definite never.
I will admit, she enjoyed the thought of picking the loquats with me so she could say she helped with this one.

Latest posts

Back