I don't make stuff up

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mmadmikes1

smart @$$
Reaction score
When I say or give advise on this site it is because I have experience I am speaking from. I have learned alot from other people here and continue to pay attention. If Luc or Julie tell you something about making fruit wine, believe them. Even if it is not what you want to hear. If Cfan gives you advise on a wine kit it is a good bet he is right. If Wade tells you anything, listen good. MinnesotaWino is loaded with experience. Sirs changed how I make wine for the better. And IBglowin is fun to needle but smart as a whip about wine. I may not agree with everything they do or say I know they all speak from experience. I know others do as well I just haven't learned all the new people from the melding of the to site.....O if the frozen Artic Sid show up, If you want to make high AVB hes the man:h

When I say or give advise on this site it is because I have experience I am speaking from. I have learned alot from other people here and continue to pay attention. If Luc or Julie tell you something about making fruit wine, believe them. Even if it is not what you want to hear. If Cfan gives you advise on a wine kit it is a good bet he is right. If Wade tells you anything, listen good. MinnesotaWino is loaded with experience. Sirs changed how I make wine for the better. And IBglowin is fun to needle but smart as a whip about wine. I may not agree with everything they do or say I know they all speak from experience. I know others do as well I just haven't learned all the new people from the melding of the to site.....O if the frozen Artic Sid show up, If you want to make high AVB hes the man:h

Was there an issue with someone not listening to you?

Judging by the time of the post, I'm guessing he'd been into his cellar for a while :)

I don't make stuff up either! That's what I told those aliens when they showed up to take me to their ship last night. I knew I should have locked the door, but there they were again, six of 'em just like the last time. Man, those things are gross, and when they touch you their skin is kinda silky and smooth, real cool feeling. Great big black eyes on 'em, too. Look kinda like bug-eyes. I reckon they can hypnotize a man just by looking at him. Then they shine those strobelight things in your face and you don't remember much after that...

Na, Just I have seen posts where it appeared as the info was just guessing and sometimes flat wrong. Now I am sure JS has been into some high AVB fruit juice

I don't know, Guys. I think most if not all people give their best shots in replying and in relating some of their experieces. When I read the posts, I try to separate the information contained therein into two categories, science based and anecdotal. Science based information is repeatable and therefore reliable. Anecdotal information is usually an anomaly and not reliably repeatable. In any case, if we see something that is "flat wrong" do we not have an obligation to point out the misinformation?

I piss people off when I am trying to be polite so I don't even though I should. I don't like enemies

i don't make stuff up either! That's what i told those aliens when they showed up to take me to their ship last night. I knew i should have locked the door, but there they were again, six of 'em just like the last time. Man, those things are gross, and when they touch you their skin is kinda silky and smooth, real cool feeling. Great big black eyes on 'em, too. Look kinda like bug-eyes. I reckon they can hypnotize a man just by looking at him. Then they shine those strobelight things in your face and you don't remember much after that...
:) :) :) :)

what to say?

We are all wine makers here ,what ever the extent of our experience,corrective critisium should always be given,but in a positive way,nobody wants to be spoken down to ,tact is always required when discourse is at work, ROCKY is correct in his reply in every sence of the word,and so is js,we can desigree to disagree,but it should be taken as a negitive,:ftand in some wine makers minds its ok to dream or elaborte,after a while if you follow the tex you can tell who is on target and who is not,and thats all you should have to understand and move on ,also if you have been with with site and the other long enough you will have experienced at one time or another a wine exchange and that tells all..:db,example I know their are people who could care less about WHEN GOOD WINES GONE BAD,and they'ed told me so ,but went I look at how many of you have view the threads and have emailed me about this or that,I know its all part of whats left of freedom of speech and chioce,and I move on..................:b

I will only say that I have learned a lot from this forum. I have been involved in wine making for many years and for the first 60 or so it was just so much "magic" that "just happened" and the wine was either good or bad and we were not sure why. (Kind of like my golf game!) What I have learned over the past year and a half on the forum is that we are not necessarily at the mercy of the Wine Gods and there are reasons that things happen in the wine and there are steps that can be taken before hand to avoid problems and even steps that can be taken after the fact to fix or at least ameliorate the problems.

I hesitate to mention names of contributors that have helped me because I will surely overlook someone, but "Joeswine" deserves mention. I think his posts first brought me to the realization that there is something that can be done to improve wines that don't turn out well. I am not sure why this was such a revelation to me because I also like to cook and I am constantly tweaking recipes to improve the taste. Also, I am just as impressed with the "wine related" postings that show things like wine making areas, homemade tools, labels, etc. The talent on this forum is amazing and I thank you all.

My only frustration with some posts/members' comments is that there is almost always more than one way to skin a cat, and similarly, there is more than one method to make a wine or perofrm any particular part of the process. Taking the view that doing/adding/testing something in one way or at a certain time is the only way it can possibly result in a good wine is a mistake - diff'rent strokes for diff'rent folks, ya know?

OK, here's a more thoughtful post on this topic. The folks I know personally who make wine, and also those on this forum, fall into two general groups in their technique.

Group A: Sensory people. These people make wine like a painter paints a portrait. They rely on their senses along the way, and they sort of go with the flow when it comes to what they do during the process. That doesn't mean they don't measure and keep records, but it's more of a free-form winemaking process they use. I'm more in line with this type.

Group B: Analytical people. These folks measure everything and engineer their wines like an architect does a building, and as Rocky said, they like everything to be exactly repeatable and scientific. They rely on the scientific method to produce their goods. As a matter of fact, most of the folks I know personally who are this type of winemaker don't even taste their wine until it is almost ready to bottle. I don't know if that is also true of forum members.

Both types make great wines! They just do it differently. So someone reading through replies gets a real wide base of ways to do things, and then can discern for themselves how they would do it. From reading here, I have picked up a bunch of small things that make the experience better, easier and faster. The best single tip I picked up was using milk to attach paper labels, and that was just an offhand comment in a thread about something else. Yet it has saved me a lot of time peeling off my own labels.

The place also has a wide range of wine afficianado, and usually that is not a clash but sometimes it is. Still, 99.7% of the time (for you Group B types), there is tolerance of other tastes and degrees of appreciation. I write often that I am a common wino interested in making cheap hooch because I don't want anyone to mistake me for someone with any standards. LOL. There is NO wine that is beneath me or above me. It's all good as long as it is not spoiled.

But what I like most here is that I have never seen a criticism of someone's wine when they post pix of labeled bottles. In the end, the nonstop encouragement says more about the people here than anything else that may get posted.

I am one of the new blood here. From my limited experience here I think the goal here is give the best results possible to what ever the problem or question may be. I like to learn and help at the same time. To me there is no such thing as a bad answer nor a bad question. Both allow comment and possibility to learn. With out education there is no future for any thing positive. When we quit learning we anchor ourselves in a position and from there non meaningful discussion and argument takes precedent. There is a lot that is missed from the ability of the spoken language to the written so some ones comment can be taken the wrong way as a criticism. But if one sits back and thinks about what they would do then offers direction and encouragement many things can be improved on and learned.

We have a tremendous amount of knowledgable and pleasant people on here all working together. Many meet from time to time and share experiences and wine. Other things you don't see ate private messages of some people helping of there are particular circumstances.

No one knows it all and because of that we rely upon the advice of our fellow wine and beer makers. It also takes a lot of people to keep a forum free from spam and irrelevant posts.

This is a fantastic forum with much information FREE to you. All you need do is search or ask. Many miss our recipe section, map, tutorial, gallery etc. sometime take a few mins. and browse and see what is available. Even a group of vendors that help support this site. Shop with them if you like. I'm sure they would appreciate it.

We were blessed to merge additional great folks to here. It's really nice to be a part of WMT and we have met some fantastic people on here.

Thanks to everyone.

Latest posts

Back