I don't have the recommended yeast--which of the ones I have should I use?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Khristyjeff

Supporting Members
Supporting Member
Reaction score
My wife and I just picked grapes today (Marquette and Foch), and I've added K-Meta for overnight. Forgot to buy the yeast they recommend so here is what I have in stock: IMG_3459.jpg
I'm new to this so I'm guessing I pitch the yeast tomorrow and maybe make a yeast starter? I should have been better prepared but grape season snuck up on me. I'd appreciate any of you suggestions.

Lot of people mention 71b for Marechal Foch, lowers the acid and helps make a fruity wine. The Premier Classique (Montrachet) gets decent reviews, but i have avoided it as i am not that dedicated to monitor for nutrients and sulfur. I swear i just looked at other yeasts for Foch while firming up my plans. I have to look on the other computer as i don't see the chart.

You are a northern grower which suggests that you are likely to have high acid. Out of the selection 71B claims to reduce malic acid by 1/3 which permits one to make a milder tasting wine. (Malic is the secondary acid, tartaric is primary)
Note you can balance the acid flavors by adding sugar instead of removing acid so the question is what style do you like? Also you can crystallize tartaric by chilling it in a garage close to 28F over winter, and a malolactic fermentation could reduce the malic acid.

You are a northern grower which suggests that you are likely to have high acid. Out of the selection 71B claims to reduce malic acid by 1/3 which permits one to make a milder tasting wine. (Malic is the secondary acid, tartaric is primary)
Note you can balance the acid flavors by adding sugar instead of removing acid so the question is what style do you like? Also you can crystallize tartaric by chilling it in a garage close to 28F over winter, and a malolactic fermentation could reduce the malic acid.
Are you talking about adding sugar up front or back sweetening? I spoke to an older gentleman at the vineyard who said he bottles his Marquette and Foch after 2 years and still back sweetens due to tartness. I'm expecting both wines to be high in acid because of where they're grown like you said, so may have to do a combination of the remedies you suggest. Thanks for your help.

And this article mentions 71b, and Premier Cuvee, so it depends on how you pland to treat acid if too high. As Rice_Guy says, you can allow MLF or cold crashing to lower it.
https://winemakermag.com/article/488-marechal-foch-varietal-focus
Thanks for responding so quickly. I'll use the 71b for the Foch (I have 95# of grapes for that), but not sure yet for the Marquette (52# of those). I only have 1 pack of the 71b. If I use the The Premier Classique (Montrachet) for the Marquette, is that a problem? I can add nutrients if it starts to smell, but I'm only a year into my winemaking venture so don't want to invite a lot of hassles. Thanks again.

the purpose of sugar in the must is to provide energy for the yeast to convert into alcohol, add to the must if you want higher octane.
the purpose for sugar in the final bottle is to balance acid flavor, ,,, warning if the yeast are active they will treat it like the must and make more alcohol/ a bottle bomb. At a year I trust back sweetening the bottle but under nine months I add sorbate to stop the yeast
Are you talking about adding sugar up front or back sweetening? .

Latest posts

Back