I didn't RTFM and now the batch is a lost cause.

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

skyfire322

Reaction score
I started a new batch today. I went through all the motions and had thought it was a six gallon kit, so I measured out as such. Well, it turned out to be a three gallon kit. So I dumped six gallon measurement worth of yeast into a three gallon batch.

This is a lost cause, isn't it?

It seems to me flavor and body will be your problem. That and the alcohol level if you didn't add sugar or concentrates to make up for the extra 3 gallons of water you probably added. Like others said the extra yeast doesn't hurt you.

It seems to me flavor and body will be your problem. That and the alcohol level if you didn't add sugar or concentrates to make up for the extra 3 gallons of water you probably added. Like others said the extra yeast doesn't hurt you.

Besides flushing out the kit bag (to get the rest of it out), I didn't add any water so it's straight up juice (SG was 1.165)............... Yeah, I missed something glaringly obvious. Just added the additional 3 gallons, and the corrected SG was 1.085. We'll see how this goes!

Last edited:
Besides flushing out the kit bag (to get the rest of it out), I didn't add any water so it's straight up juice (SG was 1.165)............... Yeah, I missed something glaringly obvious. Just added the additional 3 gallons, and the corrected SG was 1.085. We'll see how this goes!

Am I reading correctly that you added the 3 gallons of water after you pitched the yeast? If so how long after fermentation started?

I still think it will be fine. However, it is conceivable that the yeast were killed when put into the overly sugar-rich solution. So if it doesn't show obvious signs of fermentation in the next day or two, you may want to pitch some more yeast.

Again, my (uninformed) opinion is that the current yeast will do fine.

I still think it will be fine. However, it is conceivable that the yeast were killed when put into the overly sugar-rich solution. So if it doesn't show obvious signs of fermentation in the next day or two, you may want to pitch some more yeast.

Again, my (uninformed) opinion is that the current yeast will do fine.
I know you should always trust the numbers, but it was bubbling a bit and had that lovely yeasty fermentation smell. I'll definitely keep a close eye for the next few days. If it hasn't, I assume 118 be the best to get it going?

Update... It's fermenting. A lot. Already down to 1.048 lol. Going to cold crash it since the wine temp was 78.

Since the SG is that low, would it be possible to make a simple syrup to bring it back up?

Update... It's fermenting. A lot. Already down to 1.048 lol. Going to cold crash it since the wine temp was 78.

Since the SG is that low, would it be possible to make a simple syrup to bring it back up?

Why would you want to raise the sugar content now? Your initial SG would put you at 11.5-12%. Is that not what you desire? I don't think you ever mentioned -- What kind of a kit is this?

Why would you want to raise the sugar content now? Your initial SG would put you at 11.5-12%. Is that not what you desire? I don't think you ever mentioned -- What kind of a kit is this?
Sorry I didn't mention it earlier! It's the RJS Double Down White. After some digging, I told myself not to add any sugar. I'm seriously out of my game lol. Sorry about that!

Day 12 report (if anyone was curious): I made sure the hydrometer was calibrated, and it has been stuck at 1.006 for the past three days. According to the yeast strain specs, the wine temperature is 63 degrees, which is within its "happy place" (59-77 degrees.)

While it's pretty common to probably restart with EC-118, since it is so close to 1.000, I'm half tempted to rack it off the lees, add some bentonite, and then have it sit for a few weeks before bulk again to retain some sweetness.

Back