I could use some opinions on transfering

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bradp

Junior
Reaction score
As I get older I would like to not have to lift full carboys if I don't have to. Any of you out there have this worked out in your system?

Yep, I use a vacuum aspirator which allows me to rack from the floor up, side to side and from a decent distance like 15 feet away. These pumps are sold on Ebay for about $80. Heres a pic of my set up. I have a bad back so this was needed for me. I also can degas my wine with it, bottle with it by using a Boun Vino auto filler and if I hooked up a whole house water filter to it I could also filter my wine with it but havent done that as of yet but know people who use that set up. Welcome to our forum here Brad.

2-2.jpg

Cool Wade, I'll look into that! I have the orange carboy caps where did you get the lines to fit the pump? Or I should have said what size tubing?

The line from carboy to carboy is standard racking hose and those canes into the carboys are just what they are, racking canes with one actually straight with no bend as I broke that one off a long time ago. The hose at the pump came with the pump as most do but if it doesnt you can get tat on Ebay also very cheap or at a medical supply company. Here are a couple units for you tolook at and it doesnt matter if they are used as the only thing that touches your wine are the racking canes and hose for the racking canes as these work off vacuum.
I will also include a link or 2 for a overflow canister and some hose as some units dont come with those and you surely want the canister to prevent any fluid from getting into your pump bt accident as it would ruin it.
http://cgi.ebay.com/Invacare-portab...?cmd=ViewItem&pt=BI_Pumps&hash=item3cae2384f4

http://cgi.ebay.com/OPTIVAC-SUCTION...tem&pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item1c0c42a1b8

http://cgi.ebay.com/AIR-SHIELD-DIA-...tem&pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item255b38fc72

These pumps are 110v and oiless so no maintenance is needed. Make sure you get one with a gauge. Some of the better names are TPI Contemporary which I have but hardly ever see on here, Gomco, Invacare, Schucco, and Gen-Med.

I agree - i recently got a 2 stage Robinair Vacuum pump - and i bought overflow canister for a few bucks at the local medical supply store.

Works well - the aspirator is a little cheaper - i go the vacuum pump from my dad - it was free :h.

Question - Vacuum Pump

Is it necessary to regulate the pressure on the vacuum pump so that you do not have an implosion with the glass carboys?

You should stay below about 23" so as not to implode a carboy, people have gone a little higher but I like to play it safe and you really dont even need to go that highas 16-18" will degas your wine just fine. If using it in conjunction with the Boun Vino auto filler then you really only want it around 5". I have a very bad back so lifting a full carboy off the floor or putting it down from the counter is not a good idea as I almost dropped one 1 day and fell on it when I felt my back click as I was putting it down. Luckily my floor is padded due to the linoleum which softened the blow just enough not to brake as the carboy hit the floor a little harder then I wanted it to. :< The aspirators have regulators built in.

Wade - how to you release the vacuum on the carboy when it is done racking? You can shut the pump off - but there is still a vacuum seal on it - this will suck air in from the empty carboy.

It does allow a little bit in. I just release it slowly.

Dan - having trouble visualizing what you mean by releasing it slowly? Do you mean pulling the tube off to release the vacuum on the receiving carboy?

Should i add k-meta in to help with oxidation since it lets in some air?

Last edited:
Just carefully lift the edge of the orange cap to relieve the pressure.

Latest posts

Back