I am Wino #2

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

user 51267

Wino #2
Reaction score
Hey All,
I'm still getting started with this vinting stuff so I thought I might need a "Support Group". :)

I started with several batches last year, some good, some not, some not ready yet. I recently did my sour cherry batches for this year which are in carboys right now.

As a newb, I have a few questions which I will post. But otherwise, happy to be here! Hic....

Welcome to Wine Making Talk.

My quality improved when I made the assumption that the free SO2 was at zero ppm, ,,, and then just automatically dosed 50ppm at racking (0.2 gm per gallon). Likewise I judging country wines at state fair I have seen acetaldehyde (oxidized ethyl alcohol) in a third of the samples.
The other place where this is a risk is if the head space is high.
It is a fun hobby and I find folks are more willing to take a gift 750 ml bottle than to take a jar of jelly.

Right now I only have sour cherry going. 12 gallons in carboys.
I might try tomato again later in the year.

Welcome KB1. What's been your best wine so far?

The sour cherry wine was surprisingly not bad. It wasn't really "good" either. VERY tart and very little alcohol. I sweetened it a little (I like the tart) and ended up drinking the whole (1 or 2 gal) batch. Still, for my first attempt I consider it a success. So this year I have 12 gallons. :)

Welcome aboard to WMT, @KB1. There is one thing I want to mention. Develop a lot of patience. I make fruit wines and fine they are at peak flavor around 1 and a half years.
Thanks Mike. But I might have a problem with that where the cherries are concerned. :)

You made me curious about the tomato batch I did which showed some promise. So I just pulled off a 1/2 bottle from storage dated January this year. It's getting better! Nice and clear, amber red color and slightly sweet (like a tomato). There's also a slight astringent bite to it. I think I will definitely do a bigger tomato batch this year.

Hey All,
I'm still getting started with this vinting stuff so I thought I might need a "Support Group". :)

I started with several batches last year, some good, some not, some not ready yet. I recently did my sour cherry batches for this year which are in carboys right now.

As a newb, I have a few questions which I will post. But otherwise, happy to be here! Hic....
Hi everyone from sunny ireland (peversely benefitting from global warming ). My best wine was based on a chinese fruit- lychees and peaches. It came out as a respectible copy of an expensive german wine. But I had to allow ot over a year for the wine to really develop.

Gearóid

Hi everyone from sunny ireland (peversely benefitting from global warming ). My best wine was based on a chinese fruit- lychees and peaches. It came out as a respectible copy of an expensive german wine. But I had to allow ot over a year for the wine to really develop.
welcome to Wine Making Talk
that is a mix, don’t lychees have a very dominant flavor?

Gearóid
Welcome to WMT!
I would try lychees if I had them.
However, I am doing lychee tomatoes soon as I have enough. They're not lychee or tomato.

Latest posts

Back