I am back and ready to get re aqainted with my online friends

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mxsteve625

Reaction score
I am back in Virginia from working in Ohio for the last 1.5 years and ready to get restarted with my beer and wine making. I have a question. I have a Muscadine that has been in the carboy for the last 1.5 years, however the air lock has not been maintained and no water is in it. Also no Kmeta added during this period. Has air infiltrated the vessel and is the wine no longer good?

I am strictly a beginner but first thought is, whats it taste like?

I am back in Virginia from working in Ohio for the last 1.5 years and ready to get restarted with my beer and wine making. I have a question. I have a Muscadine that has been in the carboy for the last 1.5 years, however the air lock has not been maintained and no water is in it. Also no Kmeta added during this period. Has air infiltrated the vessel and is the wine no longer good?

Hi Steve, welcome back.

Did you taste it? And has it turned a brown color?

Hi Julie. No I have not tasted it (afraid too) and it still has a good color to it. It is a Noble. By the way, I was not to far from you were I was staying in OH. Wish I would have had the time to get together and meet you guys in person.

Hi Julie. No I have not tasted it (afraid too) and it still has a good color to it. It is a Noble. By the way, I was not to far from you were I was staying in OH. Wish I would have had the time to get together and meet you guys in person.

Dam you Steve!!! My husband Nd I would have drove over to Ohio for a meet and greet and I know there are a couple others on here who would have as well.

Noble, that's an awesome wine. If it has not started to take on a brown color, taste it and if you are ok with the taste, kmeta and bottle.

Julie we talked about meeting up when I first went to Ohio, However I was working up too, can you believe it 70 hours a week until winter set in both last year and this year. (Thank God I wasn't salary) I will taste the Muscadine this weekend and if alright I will bottle. Is there anything I should be looking for when I taste it? The first batch I made from the same grapes was good but is GONE.

Steve welcome back. I agree it would have been nice to have met up with you. I would take a small sample of the wine in a glass and swirl it and smell it. If you are satisfied with it then taste. If it is good get some meta in it to protect it and top up the carboy till you're ready to bottle. If it's bad and you don't think it can be saved well you may have to just dump it and move on. Good luck, fingers are crossed you're coming back with some good news.

Back