I am addicted to peach wine AM I nuts?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sammyk

Reaction score
So today we racked the fresh peach wine off the sparkelloid and into clean and sterilized carboys that had pectic enzyme for what I think now is pectic haze. Put the bottom of all 4-1/2 gallon carboys in a quart jar and then into the fridge.

I drank all the quart jar except the bottom 3 or 4 inches of the quart jar after a few hours.

Just one more thought, my peach fermented in just a few days and I was concerned because the temperature was in the 90's at the time and we don't use the air conditioner. I found the term fuselage ( I think that was the term) and was told the wine might not be good.

All I can say is it is the very best tasting wine we have made.

OMGosh, I swear fresh peach is my absolute favorite.
I don't care it if clears because I am going to drink it anyways and not giving any away.

I did simmer down 1/2 a bushel of fresh peaches to back flavor but I think I forgot the pectic enzyme at that time.....!

Last edited:
I went back and found my post from this summer.
Here is what I was told about Fuesel wine

"To me it is poorly made wine that is undrinkable. However based on some of the posters here they will drink anything. So your question is hard to answer. For example one fellow wanted to know if his batch was ruined because it smelled like nail polish. Seriously would you drink a wine that smelled like nail polish?"

Since I am still kind of new to wine, I was very worried about the peach wine.

That worry was totally needless the nose is pure peach with alcohol and the taste is pure peach.

I can only imagine the taste when it is fully aged a year because 6 months after starting it is totally awesome. I doubt it will last a year though.

After a few days of fermenting it was the most putrid smelling wine I have every smelled.

Ironic......!

Last edited:
Peach is one of my wife's favorite wines and it gets made a lot in my house. I agree it is the stinkiest wine ever smelled in the primary.
We have even bought the big cans (5 lbs I think) of sliced peaches from Sams club and used them. Currently I am experimenting with adding some grapes in the primary as well. Peach Catawba is bulk aging now and next I want to try a peach Riesling

My fresh peach is tasting pretty good at 6 months also. I plan to blend some of mine with my white muscadine. I can hardly wait.

I am very interested in making a peach wine, it is on my to do list.
Rocky, "I have had peaches in red wine." My dad did this a lot, brings back some great memories!

Duster did the canned peaches taste as good as the fresh peach?

I spent $66.00 for a bushel and half to end up with 4 gallons and 1 150ml bottle. I used half a bushel simmered down for back flavoring. We did eat the peaches after I drained of the juice. I did not add any sugar because the peaches were very sweet.

Rocky I would be willing to trade one bottle for something else. Sorry but I am going to be very stingy with this wine. We should be able to bottle next week after the pectic haze clears. What I would really like is an spiced apple wine.....

I have not gotten around to making apple yet because apples were very scare and pricey here this year.

Duster did the canned peaches taste as good as the fresh peach?

I spent $66.00 for a bushel and half to end up with 4 gallons and 1 150ml bottle. I used half a bushel simmered down for back flavoring. We did eat the peaches after I drained of the juice. I did not add any sugar because the peaches were very sweet.

the caned peaches were not as good as fresh but they were not bad. When peaches are out of season this is a much cheaper way to make it. Plus the corn syrup there canned in seems to add a little something different to the wine.
here is a link to the ones we buy http://www.samsclub.com/sams/del-monte-peach-halves-106-oz-can/159861.ip?sprodId=159861&sprodId=159861&sprodId=159861&_requestid=173571&_requestid=173594&_requestid=173722

Thank you Duster, I will check it out the next time I am in Sam's

I had a quart or so in a mason jar after my last racking. A week or so ago, I stole a couple ounces from it and stirred in a pinch of sugar. It was REALLY good. I'm going to end up with about two and a half gallons from my batch and I thought that would last me a few years. I figured I'd use it primarily for cooking. But now, I'm looking forward to July when I can go pick more peaches and start another batch.

So, no. You're not nuts. :D

I have another quart in the fridge from racking off the sparkelloid to add pectic enzyme. The quart will go with dinner tonight.

Not too worried if I can't fill a bottle because we will drink it when we bottle. And maybe a full bottle too. I will let a few age but most we will consume a few weeks after bottling. We should have a little over 4 gallons to bottle.

I too cannot wait for peach season next year and will make double the amount.

I just bottled a peach melomel. I really love the melding of the wildflower honey flavors with the peaches. I've made several iterations of peach wine over the years. This one has to be my favorite.

the caned peaches were not as good as fresh but they were not bad. When peaches are out of season this is a much cheaper way to make it. Plus the corn syrup there canned in seems to add a little something different to the wine.
here is a link to the ones we buy http://www.samsclub.com/sams/del-monte-peach-halves-106-oz-can/159861.ip?sprodId=159861&sprodId=159861&sprodId=159861&_requestid=173571&_requestid=173594&_requestid=173722
Duster
I am going to make a batch of peach with canned peaches next. I am new to this addiction. Can you post your basic recipe for this. Or recomend a link to one?

I am not overly concerned about my peach wine being cloudy. We like it so much we are not gifting any of it because we do not mind that it is cloudy.

It was very clear until I simmered down peaches to back flavor and forgot the pectic enzyme.

Back