I am a computer geek in this forum.

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

arcticsid

Arctic Contributor
Reaction score
I am not going to win the "geek of the year" award. But, I have a little bit of a handle on these computers.

If any of our members has a computer related problem and I can help, I will sure try.

I have been messing with these computers since the early eighties when the Radio Shack Color Computer was the "rage", followed by the Apple 2, etc.

Please keep these computer related questions out of the wine forum and email me direct at [email protected]

I will sure help if I can. I just saved my buddy a whole lot of money for a simple question that the "professional geeks" were going to charge him $90/hr for. I want nothing in return, I don't charge my friends for favors!!

I am not guranteeing answers, but it would be a pleasure to help you if I can.

Troy
:ot:

Last edited:
That is so nice of you to share your expertise Troy,

Your input is much appreciated and I'm sure people here will avail themselves of your very generous offer.

Allie

Mine has a bad user problem. Can that be helped?
Leanne, it's called an FIO error. The problem usually corrects itself, the more the computer is used. :h
My first home "computer" was an Atari 400. I think a few of us are dating ourselves here. Before that, I was maintaining JCL on an IBM 360/85 that wouldn't fit in your garage, and Bill Gates was 14 years old!

Last edited:
Hey! I said not here!

I remeber them days too! My computer will run the space shuttle, and back then..geez Louise!

I absolutely dont want to start a computer thread in here without the EXPLICIT permission of Wade.

However, obviously we all use a comp to communicate wtith each other, it might be relevant. As much as I want to "speak" computer with you all I wont go any further without Wades permission.

I offered my expertise, as Allie puts it. But, lets be careful we keeep this forum in perspective.

Leanne, be careful for those bad users, we will be there in the morning to kick there behinds.

I hardley EVER let anyone on my computer!! I will give anyone worthy the shirt off my back, but to share my computer just aint gonna happen!! Period!

The Eskimos find a great pleasure to share their women with their visitors, so I heard: I am not an Eskimo, and this is MY computer.!! Get your own!!!!

And don't be looking at my cats that way, find your own mice exterminating ways!!!!!!!!!!!
:tz

Troy

Says the guy that couldn't shut his email replies off.... :)

Just kidding Troy, thanks for the offer to help others out here. :r

heheheh

Don't start anything you can't finish Troy..
grins

I mean no offense to our brother Steve or any one on this forum. We have said before sometimes script can be misinterpreted. I hope Steve takes no offense to any of this G!

You may be surprised how far I will go to help someone, because I couldn't figure out about the email notifications means nothing! Guess what, there still there!

I'm just doing the best I can to be a contributing member on this forum!

Troy
:tz:db

Let Taz and the banana figure it out! LMAO

Shorter days to come Sid,hang in there.Im trying to get the notification deal off also.I am a hunter-gatherer, ask me anything...Upper

Hey! I said not here!

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I remeber them days too! My computer will run the space shuttle, and back then..geez Louise!

I absolutely dont want to start a computer thread in here without the EXPLICIT permission of Wade.

However, obviously we all use a comp to communicate wtith each other, it might be relevant. As much as I want to "speak" computer with you all I wont go any further without Wades permission.

I offered my expertise, as Allie puts it. But, lets be careful we keeep this forum in perspective.
Troy
Well...this IS a forum called General Chit-Chat...and it IS on a computer...sounds relevant to me. :h Besides, I didn't see anyone asking a computer question. Other than Leanne that is, and her problem was either sociological, or physiological. :)

Email notifications

Okay..go to your "User CP" on the brown task bar on the top of each page. Look down the left side and find Edit Options. When this page opens, do down a bit and you see something that looks like this:

Emailoptions.jpg

In the Default Thread Subscription Mode section, click on the drop down menu button. In that drop down menu on the right side, pick "no notifications", or what ever option you want.
Hope this helps.

Got Paul McCartney(Sir Paul) , if you will, playing as I try to sort this out. Pretty funny to see Taz and the Banana Dancing to "Let Em In". , only on the internet I guess.(smile).

PS, OP, Leanne is my Pal, she has nothing to do with this! Thanks for showing me how to correct this,Wade told me to look on the right. I told you I was half Polish, my qualifications were lined out from the begining.LOL

PS, OP, Leanne is my Pal, she has nothing to do with this! Thanks for showing me how to correct this,Wade told me to look on the right. I told you I was half Polish, my qualifications were lined out from the begining.LOL
You're welcome.
I can't seem to win (not talking about here). Half the people I try to talk through computer problems claim I'm talking over their heads, and the other half say I'm talking down to them.
I've come to the point where I either don't offer help, or I do a psych profile on them before I open my mouth! :)

Bro OP, all I wanted to do was offer something to all of you that some may not know. Sometimes I wish I would be quiet myself. Thats what I get for sticking my neck out.

"Those who know do not speak, and often times those who speak do not know!"-An Old Philosopher.

Troy

Ok I need to know why i have to hit start to turn my computer off, just kidding I do hardware if anyone need help there, my newegg, geeks and Fry's accts are long but I keep up on the best prices for hardware and build 3 to 6 computers a year for kids up here who cant afford one. I too am willing to help when i can and I think first order is to get out the cork screw and teach everyone about the glass holder in there computers and discuss why trying to get your computer to taste test your wine is bad. The hard drive will get a DUI

Bro OP, all I wanted to do was offer something to all of you that some may not know. Sometimes I wish I would be quiet myself. Thats what I get for sticking my neck out.

"Those who know do not speak, and often times those who speak do not know!"-An Old Philosopher.

Troy
Man, you're too serious. :hug If'n we didn't love ya, we wouldn't pay any attention to ya. :D
Your offer was well received, and appreciated...even if we did flip you some crap. Lighten up! :b

Ok I need to know why i have to hit start to turn my computer off, just kidding I do hardware if anyone need help there, my newegg, geeks and Fry's accts are long but I keep up on the best prices for hardware and build 3 to 6 computers a year for kids up here who cant afford one. I too am willing to help when i can and I think first order is to get out the cork screw and teach everyone about the glass holder in there computers and discuss why trying to get your computer to taste test your wine is bad. The hard drive will get a DUI
Well, Mike, I now have a hardware problem. I slid my chair out and got my foot tangled in the keyboard cord. That succeeded in ripping the screws loose from my sliding keyboard shelf, which is now laying on the floor. If you're a hardware guy, maybe you can loan me a couple of wood screws? :D
(This is no joke...stupid shelf fell off...but I doubt it's Mike's forte. :))

God Bless You Mike!

I have three computers beneath my feet I want to build to give to someone who can't afford one!! All I need is the HD and the OS. I want nothing for them, I just want to share!

The comp I am running I got from the dumpster and I built it into what it is!

My only pupose of this thread was to share something besides homebrewing that I could GIVE to someone else. I have been blessed and wanted to share. My offer stands. It is obvious we all run a computer, and computer tech advice can be expensive. And as long as we are all in here amongst friends, I thought it would be a great idea to share what we know with everyone else in this forum.

I never intended to start this thread to be a competition amongst us. Hell I have most of a pilots license, and because of that I learned about engines and about mechanicin', but lets not get this to far out of perspective. I will tell you however, I flew an airplane before I ever drove a car. I doubt you will ever take my advice on making wine, but I can fly an airplane. It's only a coincidence, but the first time I ever landed an airplane was in East Troy Wisconsin(Alpine Valley), last place Stevie Ray Vaughn ever played, on the way there my instructor fell asleep. You should have seen the look on his face when I bounced that airplane about 20 feet above the ground! LOL

(RIP SRV):r

I only wanted to share my computer knowledge with those amongst us who may not be able to afford the knowledge they need to keep there comps running.

Don't get me wrong, I spent almost $900 on a course to teach me about Windows XP, I got an A, but, please dont ask me about networking!!LOL I thought thats what wwe were doing in here.

TROY

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back