I’m new and looking forward to being a part of this forum!

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GVV

Junior
Reaction score
Good afternoon!

My wine journey began a few summers ago when I started working at a local vineyard near Niagara Falls NY. When I first started I was not exactly a fan of wine, but I very quickly realized that was a mistake and began enjoying it very much. My experience with working at a winery was very enticing but at the time I didn’t think too much of it. Fast forward to this past December I was finishing up Christmas shopping. I just needed to buy a few bottles of wine for last minute gifts when I drove past a wine and beer making supply store. I just got my Christmas bonus so I figured what the heck. I went inside talked to the shopkeeper a bit and decided to get my fiancé a gift that keeps on giving. I was so excited about our new hobby that I told my fiancé that I bought her a last minute Christmas present and I wanted her to open it before Christmas. My reasoning was the box was the biggest box that would be under the tree and we didn’t want either of our daughters to be jealous that she had the biggest gift. But really I was just so excited to start making wine! I went with a Cabernet Sauvignon juice for our first batch because we both prefer dry reds. After discussing the gift with my mother and grandmother at the Christmas dinner table I then found out that I come from 3 maybe more generations of Italian winemakers. My mother who isn’t much of a drinker said “it’s in your blood” and discussed how my uncle, grandfather, and great grandfather all made wine! Since then we have bottled a batch of Cabernet and a Sangiovese. We have a Valrosa that will be bottled in 3 days as well as a Merlot that is currently in the early stages of fermentation. My plan is To attempt to bottle a new batch every two weeks since I bought an additional carboy to give me that option. My soon to be stepdaughter looks forward to bottling the wine because she likes being included in the process, I also let her syphon the last of the wine while I lay on the ground and hold the hose a few inches from my mouth! She gets a kick out of trying to drown me with the wine. It usually results in a burning eye and a stained shirt! We love that she shows interest and hope that it keeps up! I recently moved from the city to the country and we’re planning on growing our own vines this summer in hopes that we can make our own wine and jelly in 4 or 5 years as well! I’m looking forward to conversing with some of you and learn as much as we can! If anyone has any good books or videos please let me know. We’re currently reading The complete guide to making your own wine at home by John Peragine that we found at our local library! Thank you!

Welcome to the forum, lots of good people lots of advice , my advice to all is
( always think outside the box).
And above don’t forget it’s supposed to be a fun craft.

Latest posts

Back