hydrometer

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mf148954

Junior
Reaction score
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

well after struggling with it for a while i descided to give it a good spin and let it sit for 5 minutes. after the 5 went by the bubbles had dissipated and it was sitting at 996 i taped it and it went right back. tapped it again and it still read 996 so i descided that must be it. i racked it more splashily than i usually would and repaced the lock. it now seems to be bubbling very little if at all. do you think it would be a good time to add my k meta sorbate and fining agent? or should i give it a few days to chill out and see what it does?

i took a reading of my blueberry (with no yeast) and it was at 1.074 so i pitched the yeast and replaced the cap.

QUESTIONS:

1) the tube my hydrometer came with is aweful. its VERY small and crooked so i am currently using a vase that i washed and sanitized. since i am doing one gallon batches my firmentation bucket is too shallow to get a reading so i have to use the vase. my question is will syphoning or pouring the wine into the vase to take readings (the recipe tells me to take a reading evrey day till the sg drops to 1.030 before syphoning into secondary) interfear with the firmentation or mess it up in any way?

2) the lid of my firmentation bucket doesnt fit tightly. ie: it doesnt snap down i bought it online and i was under the inpression that is should snap down securly. it is a drilled and grometed lid and the set up is a heavy book on the lid and a air lock in the hole is this ok??

thank you for reading my lengthy questions.

matt.

It would help a little if we knew what the heck you are making, what stage your are in, etc..

By the sounds of it you are nearing the end of your primary fermentation. Let it sit for a few days, then check it again with your hydro. You might be all done at 0.996, but the only way to know is to give it a few days then check it again and see if it's still moving at all. Even a week. There isn't any reason to rush, let it finish.

You don't need to snap the lid on for the primary fermentation. Just set it on loose so you can peek in and do your hydrometer readings. After the yeast slow down, that's when you need to get your wine under an air-lock.

Last edited:
Matt..

Leave it another week after sorbating and sweetening, this is to ensure that it doesn't ferment further.. check your SG after a week to see if it changes, if it does..it's not done. Wait another week and check again..

... If it is still cloudy, add finings. ( do this after sweetening)

In my opinion..you could be stressing unduly.

Put it in a corner and walk away. Don't check it for at least a month.

Do something else in the meantime.

Allie

Latest posts

Back