Hydrometer vs. Vinometer

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Frjen

Reaction score
I have a fruit wine eith an SG 1.090 and FG 1028 which I have caltulated to be somewhere between 8 - 9 %, but when I use the Vinometer it reads 15 % ????

Any ideas ?

I have a fruit wine eith an SG 1.090 and FG 1028 which I have caltulated to be somewhere between 8 - 9 %, but when I use the Vinometer it reads 15 % ????

Any ideas ?

Personally, much more trust is placed in SG drop for ABV calculation than in a vinometer. If you started and finished where you say, 15% is unlikely.

I have 2 vino meters. Using the same wine I get 2 different readings. Also they only work in a completely dry wine. Sugar content messes up the readings.

The wine didn't stop. I just meant that 1026 was the latest reading. Hopefully I'll reach 12% or more.

The bubles are more then a minute apart. Is it okey to stop at 1026 ?

Last edited:
you cannot count bubbles to determine whether or not your wine is done fermenting and stopping a ferment to a certain hydrometer reading is nothing less than a crap shoot. Why don't you ust let it ferment to dry then backsweeten to the sweetness that you want?

I was just wondering if the bubbles could determin if it's finish or not. How would I determin if the fermentation has stopped or not ?

using your hydrometer when it stays the same reading for 3 or 4 days then it has stopped, now if you back sweeten per instructions on the potassium sorbet as to how much per gallon times the amount in you carboy
DAWG

I was just wondering if the bubbles could determin if it's finish or not. How would I determin if the fermentation has stopped or not ?

Fermentation seems to have stopped at 1024. Should I try to restart fermentation ?

Fermentation seems to have stopped at 1024. Should I try to restart fermentation ?

I've never made a potato wine, but if you have used good yeast and have all of the fermentation parameters in line, it should ferment down to below 1.000. Since it stopped, you have a stuck fermentation. So, answer the following and we'll see if we can help:

What is your recipe, what's in it and how much?
Your initial SG was 1.090, what yeast did you use?
Did you use any nutrients?
What's the temp of your must?
What's the pH of your must?

These answers will help determine why your fermentation has stopped before dryness.

3,6 kilos of potatoes boiled and strained.

SG 1090

Bioferm Doux

Must 18 - 19 degrees celcius

I have no ph measuering tool.

Instructions that came eith the yeast sats 15 - 20 celcius.
Fermentation time 5 - 6 weekes

Instructions that came eith the yeast sats 15 - 20 celcius.
Fermentation time 5 - 6 weekes

According to the yeast product literature online, it's a moderate fermenter in the 20 C + range, so I'm thinking warming it up to 20+ is part of your initial action. I found nothing about its nutrient requirements, but am betting potatoes don't have a lot of what the yeast needs. Some Fermaid O would be a wise addition. Lastly, your yeast has an alcohol tolerance of 12-13%, which you will exceed if your wine goes down to .990.

Were it my wine to figure out, I'd warm it to 22 C, add 1/2 dose of Fermaid O, see if it starts back up. If not, make a starter and pitch some Lalvin EC-1118 to kick the whole thing in the butt.

Latest posts

Back