Hydrometer value 996, but still fermenting

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sjors86

Junior
Reaction score
I'm making my first wine from grapes and i'm using a kit for this.
After 7 days the fermenting should have been done, but it could take up to 2 weeks to complete (depending on temperature and such things). Well those 2 weeks have passed and there were no bubbles left in the wine and in the waterlock the water line was equal. But because of easter I had it there for an extra 2 days and when I checked again, the water level had raised in the water lock, which would mean there has been created new gas.

I measured my wine and it had an value of 996, which should be fine. I moved the wine over to another bottle/bucket and put in a stabalizer and stirred for 2-3 hours with interfall of roughly 30 minutes. After that I put in something to clear wine, but I noticed a few bubble in the lock today, so i'm afraid its still fermenting or creating other gas. Should I be afraid of anything and can I still bottle it if this gas is being created?

Those few bubbles can be caused by a reaction between the wine and the stabilizer or even the clarifies depending on what they were. You will want to leave the wine for a while to clear anyways. You shhould be able to tell if the bubbling continues or not. If not, then it certainly is not still fermenting. Sometimes adding a clarifier adds necleation particles which can sort of seed out gas as well as dead yeast, releasing a few bubbles.

Since you've included a stabilizer, presume potassium sorbate, it is unlikely that there's any more fermenting occurring. As Grapeman stated, interaction can take place as other elements are added. If you've not gone through the degassing process yet, CO2 will be trying to escape.

One more question, I followed the recipe so after fermenting I stir it for a few times waited and repeated that for 2-3 times. But reading on the internet this is maybe not enough to get the CO2 out of the wine. Can I after the wine has cleared stir more and for how long should I be doing this?

One more question, I followed the recipe so after fermenting I stir it for a few times waited and repeated that for 2-3 times. But reading on the internet this is maybe not enough to get the CO2 out of the wine. Can I after the wine has cleared stir more and for how long should I be doing this?

Yes you can, I would stir Vigorously until no gas comes out, It could take quite a while even with a drill mounted degassing tool.

Latest posts

Back