hydrometer readings

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Wray

Reaction score
when you are getting the initial S.G. from your must ,why is the reading not affected by the particulate matter in the must sample? How is it that the hydrometer would not be suspended and give an artifically high reading? Am I making this harder than it needs to be?

when you are getting the initial S.G. from your must ,why is the reading not affected by the particulate matter in the must sample? How is it that the hydrometer would not be suspended and give an artifically high reading? Am I making this harder than it needs to be?

Yes.

Within reason, junk floating in your must doesn't support the hydrometer, it floats along with the hydro. It's the desolved solids that make the liquid more dense.

Having said that, you should get a sample as free from floaties as possible to measure SG

... and to add to Bob's reply, when fermentation is underway, give the hydrometer a spin before reading - this dislodges small CO2 bubbles that may float the hydrometer and give a false reading.

I can see that the density of a solution is a result of the dissolved sugars and not the floatie things.thanks for the enlightenment.

I can see that the density of a solution is a result of the dissolved sugars and not the floatie things.thanks for the enlightenment.

Try to take an SG reading of yoghurt :)
And yoghurt really is considered a fluid.
The SG meter will even not sink.
And there are no floating materials in that !!!!

A refractometer takes care off all these items.

Guess who has tried this :try

But do not worry too much, your hydrometer usually gives
an outcome that is in range.

Luc

So Luc, were you trying to ferment that yogurt? Or was this just a "CULTURAL" thing/

So Luc, were you trying to ferment that yogurt? Or was this just a "CULTURAL" thing/

lol, I believe Luc would try to ferment anything at least as an experiment! Check out his log he has some very good info on there

Luc, do you eat yogurt or drink it? I agree about the refractometer. :b

Latest posts

Back