Hydrometer Reading from Primary Fermenter

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kimberlygator

Junior
Reaction score
Hi all, I tried to post this last night but it looks like it didn't post. If it did I apologize for the duplicate post. I had birds going after all my grapes so I picked everything (way too soon) on July 22nd. We picked and mashed the grapes on Fri, July 23rd and put them all in the primary fermenter with the yeast (forgot to add the Kmetabisulfate - different post). Thurs 7/29 I added another packet of yeast because it didn't seem like it was moving. We then had to be out of town Fri, July 30th through Sun, 8/1 and didn't have time to move the wine to the 2nd fermenter and we thought the reading was still not where it needed to be. So my husband went to do a hydrometer reading last night and got this (see picture). Are we hosed with this wine? Is there any saving it? Thanks for any thoughts or advice.

Attachments

• Hydrometer pic.jpg
    Hydrometer pic.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 26
Time to press and move into secondary containers.

EDIT: For next year, purchase netting for the vines to keep birds and animals out. I was told to stake the netting down, as enterprising birds will squirm under the netting.

Thank you for all the feedback. I am getting home tonight and going to rack the wine to the 2ndary fermenter. It just is what it is. I should have left the grapes on the vine and planned it all better. Learning lesson for next year. I will compare the 2 SG's and see what I get as a projected ABV.

Back