RJ Spagnols Hydrometer in Wine

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rustbucket

Supporting Members
Supporting Member
Reaction score
After multiple distractions from phone calls and people at the door attempting to sell me a water filtration system, I got back to adding the Kmeta/Sorbate package from my French Rose wine kit to the wine I racked from a primary fermentation bucket to a carboy for clearing. I used a drill attached stirrer to accomplish this. Forgotten, however, was the fact that I had just used a hydrometer to measure the specific gravity after racking. The stirrer wacked the hydrometer causing it to shatter and fall to the bottom of the carboy. I'll be filtering this wine using Buon Vino fine #3 polishing filters so I'm not too concerned about glass shards getting into the finished wine; but I am concerned about what else may be in a hydrometer that could pass through the filters.

Does anyone know if the weight in a hydrometer contains led? That would necessitate in my throwing out the batch as the potential of led poisoning isn't worth the risk.

A quick Google search doesn't help much. I'd rack it off RIGHT now and strain it though something very fine, jelly bag or stocking. I don't think a few minutes exposure will be enough to leech but if you leave it in the wine it most likely will leech into the wine.

The home I have lived in for 38 years is connected to the municipal water system by a lead pipe. We have been drinking the water for that long, and have not noticed any ill effects, so as long as you don't actually ingest the lead pellets, I think you'll be fine.

The home I have lived in for 38 years is connected to the municipal water system by a lead pipe. We have been drinking the water for that long, and have not noticed any ill effects, so as long as you don't actually ingest the lead pellets, I think you'll be fine.
🫡😵‍💫

The critical difference is that wine has a pH of less than 4.

NO

Lead services pipes typically became coated after a few years with hard water deposits, rust deposits, or other chemicals that shield the water from the lead. I believe some municipalities even add chemicals to maintain the coating. What happened in Flint Michigan was the municipality switched to a different water source that was more acidic and it dissolved the coating away, then started dissolving the lead.

Putting fresh lead (if those beads are lead) in an acidic liquid is asking for trouble! I would get the stuff out ASAP then send a sample
Of the wine In for lead testing. I assume it would be the same as testing a water sample.

ETA. Didn’t mean to get shouty! Just want everyone to be safe.

Last edited:
Back