Hydrometer headache

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SLM

Supporting Members
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I bought a Herculometer as an unbreakable backup, decided to test it beside my glass hydrometer, got a 1.5 brix difference. Both calibrated in water at zero. So I called the vendor and they sent me a new one, different from both the others. This one calibrated at +1 brix. I don't currently have a new ferment to test them all together but it appears that the greatest discrepancy occurs at higher sugar levels, which would strongly influence how I start my wine. Now I have to question my initial 26.5 and whether it was really necessary to water back. How do you know if you have an accurate hydrometer?
IMG_9903.jpgIMG_9904.jpgIMG_9921.jpgIMG_9922.jpg

I have the same issue with one of those plastic hydrometer. Bought it for when the grandkids help me. I let them play with it. One way to decide how accurate your hydrometer is, measure against a refractometer. Another, mix up a known sg mixture. I just trust my glass ones.

I "calibrate" my hydrometer for each use. Here's how I do it. First, keep a jug of tap water stored in the same area that your fermentation is working. A hydrometer is calibrated at STP (Standard Temperature and Pressure) which in our case is 60°F, pressure will remain constant. Temperature will affect your reading. Therefore, using a column of stored tap water, measure the specific gravity. Let's say it measures 1.003. To correct it to 1.000 you subtract 0.003. Whatever reading you get out of your wine; subtract 0.003 for a corrected reading. You can perform this "calibration" before or after your wine measurement.

It reminds me of when a labourer was laying some paving slabs outside the laboratory where I worked. A scientist was watching and he said, 'I've been admiring your work. I have to work to an accuracy of 10,000th of an inch.' The labourer grinned at him and said, 'You'd be no good on this job mate, we've got to be spot on!' 🤣

Latest posts

Back