Hydrogen cars hit Australian market

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jswordy

Reaction score
Two hydrogen-powered vehicles are now available for purchase (by special order) in Australia – Hyundai’s Nexo SUV and Toyota’s Mirai sedan.

The only thing that comes out of the tailpipe of these zero-emissions cars is water, and they actually filter pollutants out of the air as drive down the road.

They have a drive-range longer than any conventional electric vehicle on the market except Tesla, with the Mirai maxing out at 403 miles, Tesla Model S at 405 miles, and Nexo at 413 miles.

https://returntonow.net/2022/11/02/...cNd4DN24-Ob7dAthcu2LPEssrqlWhHtZTNCxElgR5bqho

Two hydrogen-powered vehicles are now available for purchase (by special order) in Australia – Hyundai’s Nexo SUV and Toyota’s Mirai sedan.

The only thing that comes out of the tailpipe of these zero-emissions cars is water, and they actually filter pollutants out of the air as drive down the road.

They have a drive-range longer than any conventional electric vehicle on the market except Tesla, with the Mirai maxing out at 403 miles, Tesla Model S at 405 miles, and Nexo at 413 miles.

https://returntonow.net/2022/11/02/...cNd4DN24-Ob7dAthcu2LPEssrqlWhHtZTNCxElgR5bqho
I had to cool off before responding because this REALLY upsets me. There are literally planes, trains, and automobiles using hydrogen as a fuel source. The most abundant element in the universe with water vapor as a by-product. You'd think all kind of money would pour in to develop and market such a wonderful technology.

Hemp is another example. Over 25,000 products can be made including food, milk, beer, drugs, clothing, paper, fuel, concrete and plastics. Sustainable and bio-degradable and hemp plants put more oxygen into the atmosphere than a forest. There's a video of Henry Ford hitting a car body made from hemp plastic with a sledge hammer - no damage, not even a dent. Soon after growing hemp became illegal in the US. Go against Big Money and you will most likely lose, every time.

I had to cool off before responding because this REALLY upsets me. There are literally planes, trains, and automobiles using hydrogen as a fuel source. The most abundant element in the universe with water vapor as a by-product. You'd think all kind of money would pour in to develop and market such a wonderful technology.

Hemp is another example. Over 25,000 products can be made including food, milk, beer, drugs, clothing, paper, fuel, concrete and plastics. Sustainable and bio-degradable and hemp plants put more oxygen into the atmosphere than a forest. There's a video of Henry Ford hitting a car body made from hemp plastic with a sledge hammer - no damage, not even a dent. Soon after growing hemp became illegal in the US. Go against Big Money and you will most likely lose, every time.

I am not understanding why you are upset. It is not like we have reserves of hydrogen gas sitting around. Yes, hydrogen atoms are abundant, but they are always bound to something else.

I am not understanding why you are upset. It is not like we have reserves of hydrogen gas sitting around. Yes, hydrogen atoms are abundant, but they are always bound to something else.
I'm upset because there are countless examples of inventions and technologies that quietly disappear.

And don't get me started about the razor blade that never gets dull. 😄

You know why you are upset?

You are talking sense in a nonsense world. Best to be avoided for peace of mind. Just make wine and try not to look too far past your property lines... 😄
You're exactly right.
And living in the country I feel at least a little insulated.
There has to be a point where we reach "peak idiocy" and turn things around. Yeah, I'm a dreamer.

STAY HYDRATED ,,,,
Dawg

I'm upset because there are countless examples of inventions and technologies that quietly disappear.

And don't get me started about the razor blade that never gets dull. 😄
Money in already use things,,,,
so sad but so true,
many years ago a old man living 5 miles from me made a carburetor the got about 87 mile per gallon, Saudi Arabia bought it for a Billon dollars from him,
he moved to the coast , the invention went into some Saudis closet, they still sell high dollar petroleum,,,, MO MONEY,,,,
Dawg

Money in already use things,,,,
so sad but so true,
many years ago a old man living 5 miles from me made a carburetor the got about 87 mile per gallon, Saudi Arabia bought it for a Billon dollars from him,
he moved to the coast , the invention went into some Saudis closet, they still sell high dollar petroleum,,,, MO MONEY,,,,
Dawg

Gosh, that is sooo weird! My college roommate's friend had invented a similar carburetor, but this time it was Indians on an oil-producing reservation in Montana that bought this very valuable device and shelved it! 😏

Miracle Carburetor

Don't go down too many rabbit holes.
Inventions of merit will always make their way to the marketplace.
The adoption of fossil fueled internal combustion engines met with stiff resistance initially.
Until fossil fuels became easily transportable and cheap.
That era is drawing to a close and multiple replacement options are in the wings.
For pete's sake, I've been off the grid since 1972, when conventional wisdom said solar was just around the corner but not ready for prime time.
Mass adoption of a new technology always lags behind the proven results on small scales.

The adoption of fossil fueled internal combustion engines met with stiff resistance initially.
Until fossil fuels became easily transportable and cheap.
That era is drawing to a close and multiple replacement options are in the wings.
For pete's sake, I've been off the grid since 1972, when conventional wisdom said solar was just around the corner but not ready for prime time.
Mass adoption of a new technology always lags behind the proven results on small scales.
I was off grid for 10 years. The business exceeded our capacity, plus welders and more high draw items, so we installed a line and I haven't gotten around to changing things up to accommodate the higher draws and integrate the 2 systems. SOON! ;)

My neighbor has been off grid since he built his place back in the 70's. Back in his day offgrid was running a 12v light off the tractor battery until he found solar panels!

Things have come a long way in all the years you have been off grid. His oldest solar panels are now used as battery monitors. Meaning LOW wattage.

Maybe.
As I recall diesel engines originally used vegetable oil so biodiesel is actually very old technology. And electric vehicles, admittedly primitive, have been around since at least 1900. Earlier interest and funding potentially could have changed the world.
Another example: in 1980 the American Medical Association was found guilty of "conspiracy to restrain competition. New methods of health care have been discouraged, restricted, and in some instances eliminated."
I enjoy reading history and what is taught and what actually happened are very often very different. Adoption (or suppression) of new technology usually comes down to who benefits.

There are literally planes, trains, and automobiles using hydrogen as a fuel source. The most abundant element in the universe with water vapor as a by-product. You'd think all kind of money would pour in to develop and market such a wonderful technology.
Most hydrogen is made from natural gas. So the entire geopolitical issues have not been solved:

https://www.energy.gov/eere/fuelcells/hydrogen-production-natural-gas-reforming
Hemp is another example. Over 25,000 products can be made including food, milk, beer, drugs, clothing, paper, fuel, concrete and plastics. Sustainable and bio-degradable and hemp plants put more oxygen into the atmosphere than a forest.
I actually had some hemp beer. From Switzerland, when I lived there. Known in Appenzell as Hanfblüte beer.
Meh. Not great beer. But I digress....

But yes, hemp can be made into many products. Don't be too quick to blame "government" in general. Rather consider the religious ideologies that drive governments, and such that consider growing hemp, or other things that may cause intoxication, for other reasons, as "sin". Side reference: 18th Amendment... Something to think about. Eh? :cool:

Yes... Cui bono... Who benefits. Even the ancient Romans knew that. :)

Last edited:
Saw a Fuel Cell Nissan a few weeks back while out on a morning walk around our kids neighborhood in Burbank, CA. Had to stop and take a look at it up close as I had never seen one in the wild and last I heard you could only lease them in CA due to limited availability of fueling stations. They seem to have some reliability issues still to work out.

https://www.fueleconomy.gov/feg/fcv_benefits.shtml

Saw a Fuel Cell Nissan a few weeks back
"Professor Jeremy P. Meyers, in the Electrochemical Society journal Interface in 2008, wrote, "While fuel cells are efficient relative to combustion engines, they are not as efficient as batteries....

.... A 2020 assessment concluded that hydrogen vehicles are still only 38% efficient, while battery EVs are 80% efficient."

I cut the quote short. It is actually more complicated... as all things are.

More at:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fuel_cell#In_practic
Also see the "criticism" section here (take it for what it is worth, as comments are from battery invested individuals ... again, complicated):

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fuel_cell#Fuel_cell_electric_vehicles_(FCEVs)

Last edited:
And don't get me started about the razor blade that never gets dull.
Huh!That's nothing. I've got a razor that never gets sharp! No one wants it. I can't even give it away. Duh :slp

PS. Electric cars are good for the planet, so they say. They never mention the pollution from making the electricity.!

PS. Electric cars are good for the planet, so they say. They never mention the pollution from making the electricity.!

To live in a black world, makes the entire world dark. To grow a green world, you have to dig a black hole somewhere....But that black hole is local, not global. So... the big picture. Yes, it matters. Who has to suffer in the black hole.... well that is another issue. Often not fair. Often unjust. Only we can make it more fair and just by being aware and willing to share that burden. So far the black world has been neither fair or just.

But yes, hemp can be made into many products. Don't be too quick to blame "government" in general. Rather consider the religious ideologies that drive governments, and such that consider growing hemp, or other things that may cause intoxication, for other reasons, as "sin". Side reference: 18th Amendment... Something to think about. Eh? :cool:

Yes... Cui bono... Who benefits. Even the ancient Romans knew that. :)
Hemp is an amazing crop, harvested for thousands of years. In 1937 Popular Mechanics called it a new billion dollar industry for American farmer's - and that's when "billion" was still a lot. DuPont felt threatened and had their people go to work. It was grouped with it's cousin cannabis, lobbyists lobbied, and laws were passed.
I have some hemp sweaters and I absolutely love them.

And the 18th Amendment? Prohibition of anything always has unintended consequences. Always. They never learn.

Latest posts

Back