hurry up and wait

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

okwine39

Reaction score
I am really new to this, but dang, I never knew fermenting could take so long. I mixed up a gallon batch of apple wine/cider on 01-08-11 and it is still fermenting. LOL I now a lot of you are laughing at this point of the post. I just had to say something all this waiting is killing me. :gb

That is quite a awhile for a gallon batch. What temp are you fermenting it at as cooler temps will make it take longer but with most fruit wines and white wines it will help retain the fruity esters. Did you use any nutrient.

Last edited:
With winemaking you need to practice the
THREE "P's"
Patience
Patience
Patience
Ck the temp. the colder it is the longer it takes.
Shoot for 70*.

With winemaking you need to practice the
THREE "P's"
Patience
Patience
Patience
Ck the temp. the colder it is the longer it takes.
Shoot for 70*.

I actually like to ferment my ciders/apple wines cooler. Yes it takes longer, but I like the profile a lot more. I ferment at say 55* -- and just let it ride. I find it retains a little more of the character of the specific apple varietals I use.

My bad didnt catch you are doing cider.
BUT, what yeast are you using? Temp is important depending on what yeast U R using.

I had a plum wine that slowly fermented for over a year. I pretty much had shove it to the back of the table and forget about it while it chugged along.

I think the important question that has not been asked is...how do you know it is still fermenting? Visual signs, ie bubbles? If so, you may be being misled. As the fermentation can be finished, and CO2 continue to dissipate out.

The best way to tell is with a hydrometer. Do you have any specific gravity readings?

Steve

Very true Steve. Make sure this is still fermenting by taking a few sg readings a few days in a row. If no movement then its just trapped C02 being released and you should add sulfite. You should also add sorbate if you plan on sweetening this wine.

I checked it yesterday and it was 1.030 I dont know the starting reading, I forgot to get it :)

I checked it yesterday and it was 1.030 I dont know the starting reading, I forgot to get it :)
Well it's only been two weeks, but that seems high to me for fermenting at 70F. I did an apple cider wine, Started at 1.074 and was at .994 after 2 weeks.

Perhaps you can share your recipe.

Steve

Latest posts

Back