Humidity issues with Chest freezer used as wine storage

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

perduver

Wine making enthusiast
Reaction score
I bought a brand new Whirlpool chest freezer like two months ago. In oder to keep desired temperature (55F +/- 3F), I connected to an ITC-308 Plug and Play Temperature Controller, and I monitor inside temperature online (with a cell phone application) every 10 minutes using La Cross Mobile.
Humidity in the freezer is constantly high between 60% to 80%. This has made the freezer to rust along some of the edges on the inner walls of the freezer.
I have thought about placing a commercially available moisture absorbent. But first, I would like to consult the forum for any ideas, recommendations or experience you may have had.
Thank you.

258f18f7508f77cf5fec579d2be0de7d.jpg

Humidity shown in the chart is the exterior (garage). Red chart is the garage temperature and green line shows chest freezer temperature.

No experience, but I might be tempted to satisfy myself with fighting the symptoms, rather than the disease. I'd think about a bead of silicone caulk or epoxy (or epoxy paint) along the trouble spots....

If those wires are interfering with the door seal, you'll always have outside humidity entering and condensing on the walls. Even a small opening will be a problem.

I just ordered the 308 for my wine closet. I'm using another inkbird currently that only does temperature which I'm going to use for my chest freezer to do cold stabilization. I agree with Sour Grapes with the silicone or even removing the tray. I'm surprised anything is coated steel. Mine is all galanized. Stickman is also correct. You have to be carefull because the coils run throughout the walls of the freezer but I cut a small notch in the top to run the wires through and use backer rod to fill the voids.

On another note I was going to do the same thing for storing wine but read an article that someone had their controller malfunction and the wine froze. My thoughts were to use 2 controllers in series as a safety precaution. After I built my wine closet this wasn't needed but I would think a refrigerator with the controller would be safer then a freezer.

No experience, but I might be tempted to satisfy myself with fighting the symptoms, rather than the disease. I'd think about a bead of silicone caulk or epoxy (or epoxy paint) along the trouble spots....

Sour_grapes, that's a great idea. But first, I will call the store I bought it at since it's under warranty. Certainly something I will try. Thanks!

Sour_grapes, that's a great idea. But first, I will call the store I bought it at since it's under warranty. Certainly something I will try. Thanks!

Stickman, good point. But the wires are needed for the freezer to function as a wine cooler. Here is how they look...

Mainshipfred, I will check at the store, they may carry a model with galvanized interior walls.
In regards to the possibility of the controller malfunctioning. The temperature monitor has an alarm that will send me a message if the freezer temperature drops below a specific temperature. Thanks!

The temperature monitor has an alarm that will send me a message if the freezer temperature drops below a specific temperature. Thanks![/QUOTE]

As I said I ordered the 308 and didn't realize you could monitor it from your phone. Pretty good for a fairly inexpensive device.

Hi Manshipfred,

The system I purchased to monitor freezer temperature was La Crosse Alert Mobile 926-25101-GP Wireless Monitor System.

Regards,

Luis

Update with the humidity issue in my chest freezer.
Thanks to a fellow Arizonan who shared with me this great and economical solution.
It consists of a dehumidifier (eva-dry 500 mini dehumidifier) and a mini usb / battery fan.
I placed the mini dehumidifier inside the freezer, removed the rechargeable battery, and connected the usb fan to the heating device socket of the Inkbird temperature Controller. With this set up the fan kicks in during the heating cycle to reduce the humidity in the freezer.
Before the RH was 70 - 80% and now it is 45 - 60%.
Please see attached pics.

Luis Perduver.

IMG_4630.jpg

The mini fan usb connector is plugged to the heating device socket.

IMG_4632.jpg

When temp reaches 52F, the fan kicks in until temperature gets back to 55F.

Latest posts

Back